Tree Branch Help

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
Ok I have read about the toxic trees ect However- I need to know if anyone can answer this question- We had a huge walnut tree in the yard that we cut down- I got several nice branches and stripped them of all bark and dried them out then did the vinegar and water soak and dried that- Would these now be safe to use as perches or to make a standing perch out of??? And next what about using choke cherry and doing the same to that????

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have Walnut trees and do use their branches. Walnut trees are classified as a North American Hardwood and as a group they work well for Parrot Perches. Prior to use, we use hot water and dawn dishwashing soap with a detailed cold water rise after wards. Dry in direct Sunshine.

We have long stayed away from Fruit Trees and their hybrid offshoots. IMHO, No!

OP
Niteldy

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
We have Walnut trees and do use their branches. Walnut trees are classified as a North American Hardwood and as a group they work well for Parrot Perches. Prior to use, we use hot water and dawn dishwashing soap with a detailed cold water rise after wards. Dry in direct Sunshine.

We have long stayed away from Fruit Trees and their hybrid offshoots. IMHO, No!
Sailboat- Thank you sooooo much! I was going crazy trying to figure out what to do! I used a grinder and took off all the bark and ended up with beautiful pieces of wood! I have all sizes . I want to make a ceiling hanging play area. Again thanks !

Most Reactions