Tried my hand at making 'seed treats'

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I happened to notice a packet of mixed dried berries at the supermarket today and when I checked the ingredient list and there was no sulpher whatsit in there, I HAD to buy it :)

Here's what I did :

The bowl on the left contains the seeds, etc :
- about a spoonful of berry mix (cranberries, strawberries, goji berries, black currants & blueberries), all chopped up smaller
- 2 spoonfuls of seed mix (flax seed, sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seed which I chopped smaller)
- one each hazelnut, almond and brazil nut, two peanuts, all chopped
- spoonful of chopped dried banana
- spoonful of raw oats (not the quick cook type)
- half a spoonful of toasted coconut (from my coconut diy of yesterday)
- equal amount as all of the above in pellets, chopped

The bowl on the right contains an egg white, half a teaspoon of honey, some cinnamon, ginger and dried chilli flakes. Don't ask why I didn't just add the spices to the other bowl...

In the front are the pasta shapes and 'bagels' intended to fill.

IMG-20140108-00665_zpsfa9c6242.jpg

Here I'd already mixed up the ingredients and stuffed my shapes. I had too much mixture so I used up some walnut shells (that I'd saved some time ago and had drilled holes through for 'incase' ;) ). I stuck pieces of bamboo skewers through the shapes I want to hang.

IMG-20140108-00666_zps0ccbdbcd.jpg

Baked at 100 deg Celcius until firm but not hard. They hardened upon cooling and then I removed the bamboo 'hole makers'.
Unfortunately, master Percy was in bed by this time and couldn't taste test.

IMG-20140108-00669_zps3f82825e.jpg

Last edited:

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Oh my haven't you been creative and adventurous lately! Sounds very tasty, send some Barry and Nelsons way please!

On a side note, I cooked up the soup mix today and my boys loved it!

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
They sound awesome Michelle. I am so going to 'borrow' this idea. I might make some this weekend for Bundii. Thanks:D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That looks pretty yummy!!!! I can't cook.....lol

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
I just froze it in ice cube trays by itself and will feed it with my chop mix =) will get some pics tomorrow (am going to make more!). I'm nearly due for a new batch of chop too! How sad that I'm excited about that! Haha

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Those turned out wonderfully! What a great idea:) I am also stealing the idea!!! Thanks for sharing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts