trip trouble

lillidlhansen

Jun 10, 2017
would it be okay to leave a green cheeked conure alone for 2 two weeks. he would be taken care of but not let out.PLEASE HELP

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It is obviously less than ideal for the bird and shouldn't be a regular occurrence, but so long as someone is coming over twice a day to feed/water him and check in on him, he should be ok. You may return to a very angry bird that he's ben cooped up for so long, but usually they don't hold grudges too long and are just happy you're back. Just be certain whomever is watching him is reliable. Paying a professional pet sitting service who is guaranteed to show up and take care of him may be a better idea if you're concerned a friend or family member might 'forget' to come over a couple times during your trip.

Last edited:

janquito

Aug 10, 2016
Wisconsin
Parrots
Two green cheek conures, one sun conure, and two quakers.
I certainly wouldn't do it. I left my two conures @the vets for one week and although they were out of their cages, were on some of the worker's shoulders, I still didn't like it because the place closed up by 6. They're my babies & I'm thinking hubby will be visiting his family w/o me this year.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I wouldn't do it either - I'd be worried about someone forgetting to come by, the bird having no companionship for two weeks, anything going wrong at the house and no one coming by for hours.

Have you looked into boarding (perhaps with a vet), having your bird stay with a friend, having someone stay at your house? For me personally, any of those would be my preference to leaving him alone with no interaction.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
It is obviously less than ideal for the bird and shouldn't be a regular occurrence, but so long as someone is coming over twice a day to feed/water him and check in on him, he should be ok. You may return to a very angry bird that he's ben cooped up for so long, but usually they don't hold grudges too long and are just happy you're back. Just be certain whomever is watching him is reliable. Paying a professional pet sitting service who is guaranteed to show up and take care of him may be a better idea if you're concerned a friend or family member might 'forget' to come over a couple times during your trip.

If there is zero alternative, this may work! My daughter lives with me, big reason, I travel a lot! She is my in home baby sitter! But as said, you will be on the dirt list when you return! Have been there many times! Just understand your baby has the right to be disted!

FYI, second reason my daughter with me?
Awesome person that will give/do anything to help!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Man if you do this make sure to tell you bird about it for a few days before you go. Tell her how long you will be away, that you will miss her, that you will be back. This is crucial to not loosing the birds affections permanently. I kid you not. I go away to China 2x a year, and even though my wife is home, I will tell Salty i will be away for 2 weeks * holding up 2 fingers. If you can slype her , thats good too.

OP
L

lillidlhansen

Jun 10, 2017
thank you so much.the person we have coming over is very trustworthy and has been helping us for years.

OwnedByGeorge

Jun 7, 2017
You are basically putting your "friend" (I say this in quotations because this is nothing I would ever do to my parrot) in jail for two weeks. You are putting a very very social intelligent animal in jail with no companionship and somebody coming just to feed and water him. That's wrong, wrong, wrong.

If you had a house sitter who could hang out with the bird all day that would be different, but to just leave him alone like that... Would you do that to a four year old child? That's basically what you're proposing.

Incredibly cruel and irresponsible. Don't do it.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Leaving your GCC in a cage for two weeks is a less than desirable approach, but oft times there are circumstances beyond our control. The primary concern is safety; if he is assured of at least daily checks *without fail* and daily changing of food/water/waste the bare minimum requirements will be met. Do you live in an area where the internal home climate will remain satisfactory?

If the trusted person cannot or will not let him out of the cage, you may return to a bird with issues of trust. The ideal circumstance would be to board him in a facility designed to give him "out time." OTOH, there are also risks of disease transmission in such environments.

Most Reactions