Trouble adjusting Indian Ringneck to hands

MrParakeet

Jan 28, 2021
Denmark
Parrots
Veggie (Indian Ringneck),
Buddy (Budgie),
Hope (Cockatiel)
My Indian Ringneck is a rescue that has been introduced to a lot of negative reinforcement. His last owner did a lot of inappropriate things to the little guy. Like hitting his feet with a stick if he didn't step up, or grab him by the wings and shove him, I really don't wanna list all the things he did.
I got him when he was 2 month old, he is 7 month old now. Things are going pretty well, he sits besides me on his perch and even sits on my computer monitor when I am working. But the problem is I can't approach him with my hands. I can get him to step up with a treat as long as I keep my distance and wait. Even when just giving him a treat I have to wait for him to approach me. As long as he is the one approaching it is fine, but if I try he will panic. Which is weird because he likes my company. He sits besides and even calls for me if I leave, but I cannot by any means approach him with my hands not even with a treat, but other body parts are okay. Does anyone have any tips on how to adjust him to my hands? This is not my first time taming a parrot but his hand fear is on a whole other level than any bird I have taken care of. Quick note I have also never had a Ringneck before.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truly excellent advice above!!!

FYI: Your Parrot has been Abused!!! Fear is deep-set and it can take a longtime for them to become comfortable around you and your Hands!!! Stop using you hands and try using your arm. Since it is also possible that a stick or dowel was also used, your arm is likely going to be a safer. Remember that every tiny step is a major mountain climbing by your Parrot!!! Love every tiny improvement. Love takes time to overcome abuse!!! Drop the expectations, they are a total waste of your time!!!

It is not uncommon for Parrots to fear hands and fingers because they have a likeness to snakes! That is a hardwired reaction! Comfort comes with time and not having died. So, consider bringing new things and fingers in much slower.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
welcome Denmark!!! That's so awesome! Read all the posts on other parrots, when yiu visit. I pick up all sorts of great things that way. Some things are species specific, but most apply to all. Don't be shy dive in on any topics you have advice or support for. Truly great people here.

Quick way to post a pic us click advanced under text box click paperclip choose file hit upload on far right close window post it will attach as a thumbnail under your text box
Cuz we like pics!
Under your name you can add an album too

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome! Thank you for rescuing him!

Just because people all over the US and elsewhere misunderstand the term "negative reinforcement", I feel the need to clarify. Negative reinforcement is reinforcement because it rewards a behavior by taking something bad away (if it is negative reinforcement, it is still a reward/positive for the person/animal experiencing it). Negative stands for minus, not bad. Negative reinforcement is like if you say, "if you study all week, I won't make you do chores on Saturday". It's may be positive because it removes something bad (undesired---subtracting Saturday's chores makes it "negative" in a "minus" way--that's what that term means). ***Mind you, what is reinforcing to Bob may NOT be reinforcing to Sally--especially if (based on the example) one of them LIKES to clean. If you take away a privilege from someone, THAT is punishment...so, removing chores could be negative reinforcement for someone who hates cleaning, but punishment for someone who looks forward to cleaning.

Hitting etc is punishment (or, in this case, ABUSE), and that is not the same as negative reinforcement. Negative reinforcement can be either a good thing or a bad thing if you are the human and your bird is the one reacting to your potential "reinforcement" . Many people accidentally use positive and negative reinforcement to increase desired and/or undesired behaviors in their birds-- but what you are describing is not "negative reinforcement".

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts