Trouble trying to figure out what went wrong

Amberling

Jun 5, 2022
Parrots
Budgie/Parakeet
So I have my pet lutino cockatiel with me for like, 6-7 months and he's very tamed and bonded towards me. However, he has been unpredictable with hisses at me today while in his food bowl, and was wondering if it's because I've been arranging his cage too much. Moving perches, food bowls, etc. Trying to make sure his cage doesn't crowd.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
cockatiels are just like that. I've had my girl for 4 years and shes tame and we get along but sometimes she still hisses at me and beaks at me. That's just your bird expressing some discomfort. "MOM I'm EATING leave me ALONE" as long as he isnt becoming aggressive with you, I wouldnt take it personally. Just respect his space and come back after he has eaten.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So I have my pet lutino cockatiel with me for like, 6-7 months and he's very tamed and bonded towards me. However, he has been unpredictable with hisses at me today while in his food bowl, and was wondering if it's because I've been arranging his cage too much. Moving perches, food bowls, etc. Trying to make sure his cage doesn't crowd.
His cage is his personal space and he probably wanted you to respect that. He may not want you rearranging his furniture. I wouldn't let his occasional birditude bother you but don't let it stop you from putting your hands inside his cage. You don't want him to learn that hissing and biting at you makes him in charge but perhaps he liked his house the way it was.

Birdmom2a2

Nov 9, 2017
Colorado
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon
I've had small and large birds for over 30 years and none of them liked me inside their cage. I remember reading an article by behavioralist Liz Wilson or Sally Blanchard that we should "ask permission" to enter the cage. This made sense to me because that's their home and I don't want someone coming into my home uninvited. I have a Lilac Crowned Amazon and never service her cage while she is in it. To put her dinner bowl in, I ask her to step back and then proceed. Otherwise, she gets very upset and will lunge. The only time I enter her cage uninvited is for an emergency or for her safety. She is 22 years old and has always been like this (I adopted her at 10 mos old). She also does not tolerate moving around her "furniture" in the cage - if I do, she won't go inside. I don't like my furniture moved either :) I hope this helps you understand your friend better.

Most Reactions