Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I heard that citrus, bread etc can cause sour crop and just before I was about to tell that to a member, I decided, no, let me go do some research on what is sour crop

And I found out it's a yeast or bacterial infection, so does that really mean citrus can cause it? Bread probably can because it has yeast, but what about citrus? I'm confused..

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
so when the natural flora is imbalanced there can be issues. It's like a tug of war between them, everything is balanced

then if one side is wiped out, or given a " power food source " one takes over.

Yeast loves sugar/ carbohydrates , so that powers them to rapidly reproduce cause crop issues.

But the bacteria some can love sugar/carbs and also rapidly reproduce and same issues

So its whichever side wins the tug of war

( its why kids can get upset tummy or diarrhea after gorging on sugary snacks)

I don't know for sure , but the citric acid , some bacteria may not thrive , so you get an imbalance. Or to much acid in foods causes little ulcers , disrupting function, or then those can be taken over by bacteria

Last edited:
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
so when the natural flora is imbalanced there can be issues. It's like a tug of war between them, everything is balanced

then if one side is wiped out, or given a " power food source " one takes over.

Yeast loves sugar/ carbohydrates , so that powers them to rapidly reproduce cause crop issues.

But the bacteria some can love sugar/carbs and also rapidly reproduce and same issues

So its whichever side wins the tug of war

( its why kids can get upset tummy or diarrhea after gorging on sugary snacks)

I don't know for sure , but the citric acid , some bacteria may not thrive , so you get an imbalance
Thank you for the reply, it makes a lot of sense!

Most Reactions

Latest posts