Trying Bird Bread

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
So..coming up on a week of Iris living with me and she steadfastly refuses to eat anything other than seeds and nuts. She came to me with a beautiful mix of 3 different pellets (Harrison's, Roudybush and Zupreem Natural) and a bird trail mix from Parrot Island. She was being a brat and not eating so I gave her some of the parrot seed mix I mix into Phlox's chop and she'll eat only that and nuts. She's picking around everything else.

She also won't touch chop, fruit or even Nutriberries.

I don't know if she's just being a pain because she's nervous, but I decided to make some bird bread. I've made it in a past and I've never had a bird refuse, no matter what I put in it.

Tonight I'm trying (amounts..what are measuring cups? I have no idea :) )

Cornbread Mix
15 bean soup mix, cooked, probably like 1 cup or so
3 eggs with shells
A sweet potato
Some Pureed Strawberries
An organic squeeze pouch of fruit only kids fruit, mango, banana and apple
Flax seeds
Chia Seeds
A cup of those mixed pellets
1/2 cup of parrot seed mix
Cinnamon and Cayenne
Some of my dried green mix (dandelion, kale, mustard green, pureed carrot)

I'm positive Phlox and my other fids will be in HEAVEN tomorrow. Fingers crossed that in the next week I can get Iris to at least put her beak on it.

I am calling her the big green chicken...because that's totally what she is. A big green flower scented chicken.

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
So..coming up on a week of Iris living with me and she steadfastly refuses to eat anything other than seeds and nuts. She came to me with a beautiful mix of 3 different pellets (Harrison's, Roudybush and Zupreem Natural) and a bird trail mix from Parrot Island. She was being a brat and not eating so I gave her some of the parrot seed mix I mix into Phlox's chop and she'll eat only that and nuts. She's picking around everything else.

She also won't touch chop, fruit or even Nutriberries.

I don't know if she's just being a pain because she's nervous, but I decided to make some bird bread. I've made it in a past and I've never had a bird refuse, no matter what I put in it.

Tonight I'm trying (amounts..what are measuring cups? I have no idea :) )

Cornbread Mix
15 bean soup mix, cooked, probably like 1 cup or so
3 eggs with shells
A sweet potato
Some Pureed Strawberries
An organic squeeze pouch of fruit only kids fruit, mango, banana and apple
Flax seeds
Chia Seeds
A cup of those mixed pellets
1/2 cup of parrot seed mix
Cinnamon and Cayenne
Some of my dried green mix (dandelion, kale, mustard green, pureed carrot)

I'm positive Phlox and my other fids will be in HEAVEN tomorrow. Fingers crossed that in the next week I can get Iris to at least put her beak on it.

I am calling her the big green chicken...because that's totally what she is. A big green flower scented chicken.

Sounds great. I need to try this with our birds. Thanks for listing the ingredients.

Big green flower scented chicken...? That's the best way to describe an Amazon. :D

OP
P

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
Well, at least I got her beak into the cup! I don't know how much she's actually eating, but all of them are at least tasting it. For day one, I say that's a rousing success!

Most Reactions