Trying the chop?

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
Ok everyone, just cause I'm getting some things different from this fruit/veg list than others, and some I couldn't find... Are these safe? I would like to keep a bowl of fresh and freeze some for later. I'm trying to transfer them over to a more natural diet but slowly.

I currently have:

Macintosh Apple
Bell Peppers (orange, green, red)
Baby Carrots
Pomegranate
Celery
Red Grapes
Mandarin Oranges/Cuties(I'm going to make sure no seeds)
Seedless Cucumber
Yellow Squash
Zucchini
Fresh Sweet Corn(cut off the cob.. Should I boil or leave alone??)
Fresh Broccoli
Fresh Cut Pineapple

What do you think? I can do others later and add but I wanted to make sure it was all safe and storage safe?
THANK YOU!!

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
It all looks like safe foods to serve, but be aware some of those things won't handle freezing well. Like Bell Peppers, celery and grapes, maybe the oranges too (not sure, I've never frozen one) Things high in water content don't seem to freeze/thaw well.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
It all looks like safe foods to serve, but be aware some of those things won't handle freezing well. Like Bell Peppers, celery and grapes, maybe the oranges too (not sure, I've never frozen one) Things high in water content don't seem to freeze/thaw well.
Whole grapes freeze really well, and are lovely too!

anotherbrother

Apr 15, 2015
Broccoli, purple cabbage, cauliflower, parsnips work well. I don't think the high water content fruits and veggies freeze as well.

GreyNickels

Oct 4, 2015
NY
Parrots
Verdi - Green Cheek Conure
Pippi - Congo African Grey
I wouldn't add the apples (they'll brown) nor the oranges (too wet)

You really want a dry chop, I dehydrated a bunch of zucchini and added dried blueberries and very finely diced dried apples to mine.

When you freeze veggies, the cell wall ruptures so when it thaws, it's wetter than when it went into the freezer and can be a pile of mush and gross when you thaw it.

I dried my own apples, and zucchini, and bought organic dried blueberries. If you buy dried fruits./ veggies from the store, check labels a lot of them have added sugar and sulfite a and junk.

Cook the corn, I think they are awfully starchy otherwise.

Most Reactions

Latest posts