southern New Jersey
Parrots
Congo African Gray,
Yellow crowned Amazon,
Senegal parrot
I began a search over a month ago for a Parrot. I had decided on a Senegal
so I reached out to local Bird Rescues in the State to inquire as to whether
there were any Senegals available for Adoption. One Rescue Group replied
and said No, they did not have any, but asked if I would consider a Pionus.
I agreed to look at the bird, but didn't realize at the time that they did not
even have the bird in their possession. The Coordinator indicated I needed
to complete an Online Adoption Application, which was quite extensive.
I then found out that they also required (2) References, a Home Video of
where the bird cage was going to be, and a Telephone Interview, before
I could be considered by the Board of Directors. I also had to have 3 Visits
with the bird before Adoption approval would be considered.

Has anyone else ever had to go thru all of this to Adopt a bird ?
I am all for adoption vs. purchasing, but I never thought this would be
that extensive of a process.

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
First of all I would like to say Thank You for considering adoption. Giving a home to a bird in need is wonderful.
I know the requirements for some rescues seem over the top but it's only for the best outcome for the bird. Parrots live for many years and some go through several homes in their lives. They want to find the best fit possible. I'm sure they want to make sure you and your home are suitable for certain types of parrots. Larger birds need more room, some birds wouldn't do well in apartments because of the noise level they make, etc. etc.
3 visits with the bird is very typical. They want to make sure that the bird is the right one for you and to see how well you can handle it. Remember most of the time a bird picks it's person, not the person picks the bird.
I hope some of this helps you understand the adoption process. There are so many birds in need of homes. Some are given up because of situations at home change, some are just neglected and left in cages for years with no human contact. It's so heartbreaking to hear the stories.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Oh yes, it's the norm. We found our bird on Petfinder.com, who gives you a link to the shelter who has that individual bird. Shelters want to do their best to find the bird a permanent home. The process identifies people who want to turn a companion parrot into a breeder or resell it. They want to make sure you have a suitable place for the parrot, some knowledge about care, an understanding of the veterinary, food, and supplies/toys costs involved.

Rescue birds come with adoption fees which partly offset the money paid by the rescue to purchase, transport and obtain medical treatment for the bird. Humans by nature seem to place a higher value on more expensive things, so a casual adopter is more likely to acquire and subsequently discard a parrot that's free. If the parrot is expensive, it causes the potential adopter to stop and think, and to treat the bird more seriously. Some stores will give away a 'keet if you buy a cage and supplies. That sends the message that the bird's life is worthless.

So yes, this type of screening is proper, and I hope this helps explain why, and turn you into a supporter of the process. Think of it as the last firewall between a bird - who is now in a safe place after coming through some kind of tragedy or even abuse - and an unknown future. After investing money, time and love in bringing the parrot to safety, anyone would want to give it the best chance at health and happiness before sending it back into the unknown.

Last edited:

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
Most rescues are not a storefront place like you may imagine. They are networks of foster homes, as a collective rescue. There may 25 birds in the rescue, at 25 different foster homes, each a certified foster home to take in and rehabilitate the rescued bird. And then there is the administrative part as well, but most everything is done from peoples homes as they do bot get paid for this. And yes, they normally do require at minimum what they asked you, or MORE. By me, they need to visit your house and do an inspection as well. All of this is normal and essential to ensure the birds dont end up back in a sticky situation.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thank you for considering adoption. As others have said, the process may seem over the top at first glance. Great numbers of parrots are turned over to rescues just a few months after being purchased on a whim. People responsible for finding new homes for the birds feel a huge responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen again.

OP
N

NJDenman

Oct 18, 2016
southern New Jersey
Parrots
Congo African Gray,
Yellow crowned Amazon,
Senegal parrot
Thank you all for your kind replies. I guess what concerns me is that the Adoption Coordinator has not yet received this bird, the surrender has not yet taken place and they have only stated that they expect it to be surrendered within the next two weeks but that they have no information on the Pionus. Initially, I said no, but changed my mind, feeling it really was the right thing to do - but the Adoption Coordinator appeared to be slightly 'annoyed' and disturbed that I had changed my mind and wanted to know why. I felt I was doing the right thing in choosing to Adopt. The Adoption Coordinator is the one who asked me to consider this Pionus vs. purchasing a Senegal. I sent her photographs of my home, and she has my Online Adoption Application. I will just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that perhaps, just maybe, this will work out for me. If not, then I will be purchasing a Senegal Parrot in the Spring.

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
Well I think it is smart to wait and get details on the bird before making a commitment. Adopting is an amazing thing, but some birds in rescues have some pretty serious issues that are better left to people with lots of experience - even if that just means the bird stays in a foster home for a short time to be worked with by someone experienced-, which is why I think it is smart to get a little background on the bird before saying yes, and then not being able to properly care for the bird. If you explain to them that you are open to it but simply want to wait and get a little info on the bird, its needs, and any other important info to determine if you are the right person for that bird, for the good of the bird, then theres no good reason for anyone to be annoyed. I dont have experience actually adopting a bird and cant say if its normal practice for the bird to go straight from being rescued to the home of the person adopting the bird, maybe someone else can clear that up. I imagine that if they are offering this option though that there arent any serious issues that would require an experienced foster parront, but who knows. Regardless, with time, patience, and love (and research), you and this bird have endless potential for a great bond.

Most Reactions