Trying to decide on a bird...

cosmere-birb

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
No parrots yet, but I hope to get one soon!
hey, I'm new here but I'm thinking about getting a bird. The problem is I can't decide if I want a cockatiel or a green cheeked conure. I had a budgie when I was a kid so I do have experience but I've since done a lot more research and narrowed it down to those two species. But now I put it up to you. I still live at home with my parents but I'll probably be moving out within a few years. I am homeschooled though so I can handle a high maintenance bird and if I decide to go to college my sister would take care of the bird. I have several siblings, the youngest is almost 9 so they'd be able to respect a birds space. I just can't decide which bird would be best.

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Turtle (my sister's budgie. Let's be real, I'm taking care of him)
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
I am homeschooled as well! For a while, I wasn't sure whether I wanted a Cockatiel or a Sun Conure, but then I met a screaming one in real life... there was no way my parents or I could stand the noise.
I've never had either bird, though, so I don't know what I'm talking about. 😜

OP
C

cosmere-birb

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
No parrots yet, but I hope to get one soon!
I am homeschooled as well! For a while, I wasn't sure whether I wanted a Cockatiel or a Sun Conure, but then I met a screaming one in real life... there was no way my parents or I could stand the noise.
I've never had either bird, though, so I don't know what I'm talking about. 😜
I've met a cockatiel and a GCC before, although I wasn't able to interact with the GCC as much because he/she was in a pet store in a cage as opposed to the cockatiel, which belonged to a friend and I was able to hold and pet. I think I can handle the noise of a GCC although not all of my family was there so I haven't asked them. Plus the poor birds looked pretty bored and thats probably why they were being so loud.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I own both species.
Cockatiels from what I’ve observed from my three, would probably be easier. They’re easier to please. They have a sassy attitude sometimes but only when they don’t want to be messed with.
My two males can be loud when displaying/showing off. Their screams are very shrill, and imo harder to listen to than a GCC.
Cockatiel dust is pretty bad, I have to wipe everything down almost daily to get rid of it, but I have 3 while you’ll have 1.

My GCC is much more needy. He wants to be on me rather than near me, though not all of them will be this way.
He screams but only when he’s really excited.
He’s very playful but sometimes he starts playing too rough and bites too hard.
Their diet is basically the same except the cockatiels get more seed than Tom (the GCC)

Most Reactions