Trying to help my new bird relax and do normal bird stuff again

bonecat

Jan 20, 2020
Hello Parrot Forums! My girlfriend and I are first time bird owners who have recently adopted a little blue parakeet, Selene, who needed a permanent home. Unfortunately, she has had a bit of a difficult life before coming to live with us-- she was dumped by her first owner when they moved and has bounced around between a couple other people, I'm assuming with no one really making any effort to socialize/tame her.

She's been in our home for about a week and a half now. She seems very tense and nervous-- she sits in the same corner of her cage most of the day. She'll hop over to her food and water bowls, and her poop looks like normal bird poop, but she doesn't really play with any of her toys except for picking at a little mirror in "her spot." I worry that she has some birdy mental health problems from being moved around so much and not being properly taken care of :/ She does perk up a bit and chatter away sweetly when my gf and I are talking to each other or playing music or podcasts, and the toys already in her cage that she came to us in show signs of wear and tear, which makes me tentatively hopefully that once she has time to really adjust and know that she's safe, she'll start playing again.

I'm going to start offering her fruit and veggies, and eventually give her some new toys, but I'm taking things very slow because she freaks out and zooms around whenever a hand enters the cage and I'm worried she'll hurt herself if she gets too scared. I've been sitting next to her for a little while each morning when I'm drinking my coffee and she seems to be adjusting a bit to having me nearby. I've read some good advice like hanging new toys outside of the cage in her line of sight so she gets used to them, and covering some walls of the cage so she feels safer-- is there anything else I should be doing to help her settle in?

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
There is a training tab in this forum. Bring up Youtube.com and type Disco (parakeets name) into the search window. It is so cute. Lots of video's with useful info if you use common sense and all, wingsNpaws (in search window) is good too; altho about a grey. Feeding green vegies is big deal (all veggies) fruits too but less volume. jh

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello, thanks for taking in a budgie! O took in two myself awhile back. Got them chowing on veggies, and leafy lettaces are their favorite. To start tho, you might offer extra tempting stuff like a slice if apple, or fresh corn in the cob cutting off some for her. I hang leafy stuff and that seems more attractive to them. Offer veggies in a shallow clear dish.

It sounds like you are doing all the right stuff. I never tamed my Budgies.

And I'm going to say in my opinion, and in that of some reading, budgies are a species that is so social, that I think keeping two is better. That may make it much harder to befriend. But I think it makes for much happier budgies...

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you for Rescuing this wonderful Bird!

IMHO, just drop all expectations and work at the pace of your Bird. Clearly, life, up to this point has been less than barely okay. Your simple commitment to providing a lifetime home and one filled with Love will go a very long way to having your new member relax.

Sit close to the cage and read out loud in a comforting voice will help develop a Bonding Relationship.

Based on your Bird's past and the fact that Birds have no natural reason to trust Humans, it will take awhile for him to gain a comfort in this yet another new place.

Know that Birds are by nature very social creatures and that drive, plus the comfort of your home will quickly open and support his joining his new family.

Try these Basics in Loving and Living with Birds:

- Only good things happen when Humans are around!

- Change your Vantage Point!
It is never the fault of the Parrot!
It is always the fault of the Human!
By simply changing to this Vantage Point, you will more quickly see what you are doing wrong and correct it!

FYI: This Vantage Point thing works with Humans as well! :D

Enjoy!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
birds move in slow motion-- This talks about bonding some:
http://www.parrotforums.com/new-members-welcome/83814-new-quaker-parrot-owner.html

Welcome btw!

I have 2 massive posts on page 2 of the following thread which discuss many of the care concerns when adopting parrots (of any type---doesn't matter that you have a parakeet- 99% is the same). There is a lot of detail, but their health and well-being can be impacted by a lot of things within the home, so please read that thread (especially since you are new to birds)
Here it is:
http://www.parrotforums.com/questio...t-getting-eclectus-african-grey-parrot-2.html

The whole thread is really worth reading (page numbers can be toggled at the bottom of page on right-hand side), but I am mentioning page 2 because the 2 huge posts that I made there discuss some essentials that are not very well known by many new to birds.

They are complicated pets---much different from dogs of cats in a million ways...especially in terms of their sensitivity to chemicals/scented products/teflon etc. Again---this is discussed in detail on page 2

Oh, and after reading that- visit these links if you have any doubts about the whole Teflon/PFC/PTFE/PFOA danger-

https://www.ewg.org/research/canaries-kitchen

https://www.ewg.org/research/canarie...on-kills-birds

http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/oth...on-bird-guide/

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
Please be patient with Selene she could be traumatized dont rush anythings and please take your time so she can adjust at your home thank you for rescuing her!

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
And, watch this vid. jh [ame="https://youtu.be/fRneaq9JXvM"]Taylor Trains an Amazon Parrot - YouTube[/ame]

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
Remember also, patience, same time activities, training start 20 mins after its morning breakfast. Read articles under Forums - Training and search wingsNpaws on youtube.com. jh STUDY

Most Reactions

Latest posts