so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The bottom line question in this post is the gender of the twins.

I suspect they are both male but...
It is also possible that the genders are reversed from there given name. That is to say Luna is male and Merlin is female.

When things get back to normal I will have a DNA test performed but as things stand now I can't go in to the vet with my birds. I have to wait outside in my car. I really need to be there just to be sure the blood sample gets the right name written on it, I could take them in separately but I don't want to separate them.

So here is the video I shot this morning. Bingo is on top of Merlin's cage (just as Merlin does to Bingo) and it's clear in the video Luna is not happy about it. This "display" that Luna makes towards Bingo is … over the top. None of my other Amazons have ever made a display like it. It looks a bit like the Mantling a bird of pray does over something it just killed.

Is this behavior something more often seen in male birds?

[ame="https://youtu.be/fkT3av1hmwc"]Luna mad at Bingo - YouTube[/ame]

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don’t know. But I know a caged bird does not like a free bird to be in a superior position to them , and or infringing in their territory

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Any head bobbing Wes? We all know Amy and BB are males and Amy is infatuated with Beebs. Amy climbs on BB's roof and his head bobs like crazy. I have had to tie-wrap a bath towel to the side of Amys house that faces BB's condo or Amy will just stare over at BB and do his "thang" Four years and there is no slowing down either.

Jim

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Any head bobbing Wes? We all know Amy and BB are males and Amy is infatuated with Beebs. Amy climbs on BB's roof and his head bobs like crazy. I have had to tie-wrap a bath towel to the side of Amys house that faces BB's condo or Amy will just stare over at BB and do his "thang" Four years and there is no slowing down either.

Jim

Merlin has been regurgitating for his toy. I have some video of that.
Twice I have seen Merlin bobbing his head in the presents of Luna.

Bingo does his regurgitation to me.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A life with Amazons has warned me to be careful regarding defining the sex of an adult Amazon. The only way to know, for sure, is when that guy laid an egg, physical verification surgery and today's far safer DNA Sex Test.

You will know soon enough my friend...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts