Two Conures Suddenly Start Mating??

Zolto22

Dec 21, 2022
Parrots
Two conures
So I have two conures, Iā€™ve had them for 3 years now and they love each other but have never shown any mating behaviors before until recently. I thought they were both males since nothing had happened over 3 years, but for over a week now, theyā€™ve started mating EVERY SINGLE DAY!! sometimes multiple times a day!! Is this normal??
Iā€™m starting to still think they might both be men since I still havenā€™t found an egg after them doing it so often. But one of my conures is always the one on the bottom? They never switch lol, so is it normal for two male conures to mate multiple times a day and always have the same one on top?? I tried looking up how often conures should mate but I found nothing online. Iā€™m just very confused as nothing like this has happened over 3 years and now theyā€™re going at it like rabbits! But no egg?
I would really appreciate any advice or experience anyone might have on this subject. Thank you.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Their eyes met across a crowded cage?

Maybe they are now old enough and the environment is just right so they feel they should have babies. Birds come into breeding condition because of environmental factors like longer days, lots of rich food, a likely nest site like a box or holeā€¦

If they are both boys, well, you wonā€™t have to deal with egg issues. Who is ā€œon topā€ may have to do with dominance or relative hormone levels or maybe you do have a boy and girl.

As long as they arenā€™t fighting and are both ok with it, I wouldnā€™t worry about it. You could cut back their daylight hours if they are being loud or naughty or aggressive.

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
So I have two conures, Iā€™ve had them for 3 years now and they love each other but have never shown any mating behaviors before until recently. I thought they were both males since nothing had happened over 3 years, but for over a week now, theyā€™ve started mating EVERY SINGLE DAY!! sometimes multiple times a day!! Is this normal??
Iā€™m starting to still think they might both be men since I still havenā€™t found an egg after them doing it so often. But one of my conures is always the one on the bottom? They never switch lol, so is it normal for two male conures to mate multiple times a day and always have the same one on top?? I tried looking up how often conures should mate but I found nothing online. Iā€™m just very confused as nothing like this has happened over 3 years and now theyā€™re going at it like rabbits! But no egg?
I would really appreciate any advice or experience anyone might have on this subject. Thank you.
Their eyes met across a crowded cage?

Maybe they are now old enough and the environment is just right so they feel they should have babies. Birds come into breeding condition because of environmental factors like longer days, lots of rich food, a likely nest site like a box or holeā€¦

If they are both boys, well, you wonā€™t have to deal with egg issues. Who is ā€œon topā€ may have to do with dominance or relative hormone levels or maybe you do have a boy and girl.

As long as they arenā€™t fighting and are both ok with it, I wouldnā€™t worry about it. You could cut back their daylight hours if they are being loud or naughty or aggressive.

Hi Z,
My parakeets have also been mating this frequently.

Momma bird has found a suitable nest box. After about a week of laying eggs in various random places, sheā€™s settled in with her clutch in a bankerā€™s box lined with newspaper (also her choosing, NOT mineā€¦ will probably clean that out soon and switch to aspen bedding so no ink) and shredded.

Maybe your bird is sneaking off somewhere and hiding eggs, is that possible? I found two in drawers, and a third at the bottom of the cage. Once it became clear she was making the bankerā€™s box her nest, I moved the eggs there. That seemed a pleasant surprise for her, thereā€™s 4-5 now (havenā€™t checked today). Theyā€™re still mating frequently, almost did on my hand today while feeding.

Make sure theyā€™re getting a good variety of food, including fresh food, and plenty of calcium. My momma bird who previously refused most all fresh food is now eating a varied diet (hurray!). I added hard boiled egg, and crushed shells, to their greens and oranges and theyā€™re eating so well now! A molting and conditioning nutrient supplement isnā€™t a bad idea in addition to your mineral block and cuttlebone if thereā€™s any chance youā€™ve got eggs in the works. This to keep her healthy so she wonā€™t have difficulty making and passing an egg.

Curious what will come of this! Itā€™s an odd time of year- short days and all- to first see this behavior. I can relate!

Have a lovely evening!
Laura

Attachments

• 0AC418A9-7373-4B91-A969-4B50653C0415.jpeg
    0AC418A9-7373-4B91-A969-4B50653C0415.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 44
  • B61927A4-EBEA-4447-8EE2-211E97D70FE4.jpeg
    B61927A4-EBEA-4447-8EE2-211E97D70FE4.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
We just had the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere, and days are getting longer. Photoperiod increase sets off breeding behavior and hormone increase in parrots. So theyā€™ve got a great sense of timing.

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
We just had the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere, and days are getting longer. Photoperiod increase sets off breeding behavior and hormone increase in parrots. So theyā€™ve got a great sense of timing.
Longer days!!! Love this Heather! šŸ‘šŸ˜šŸŒž

Most Reactions

Latest posts