Two males mating?

flockof7

Sep 28, 2021
Parrots
cockatoo and conures
Hi, Iā€˜m new here.

We have two male conures, brothers. They were dna tested and are confirmed males.

today is the second time Iā€™ve caught them mating. at least I think it was. One was on top of the other and you could see him thrusting. is this dangerous for either one?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
i dont know anything that could be very dangerous at this suituation my tiel and my past conure were both females and di the same but nothing really happened except my conure laying 4 eggs

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Welcome flockof7!

Same sex copulation in birds is much more common than one would guess. There are several possible explanation for that assuming it was a copulation.

Sometimes animals of the same sex can show dominance over one another just positioning itself in a higher ground. Sometimes, mounting on top of the others. Of course if it has anything to do with dominance you would observe other behaviours as well, mainly short fights and persecution. This could be a problem...

If your birds are well comfortable with one another, they might be just practicing sexual activity (training) or they might be attracted sexually to one another. In that case as Tikitiel said, no need to worry, particularly considering they are males and no egg is going to pop up.

OP
F

flockof7

Sep 28, 2021
Parrots
cockatoo and conures
Welcome flockof7!

Same sex copulation in birds is much more common than one would guess. There are several possible explanation for that assuming it was a copulation.

Sometimes animals of the same sex can show dominance over one another just positioning itself in a higher ground. Sometimes, mounting on top of the others. Of course if it has anything to do with dominance you would observe other behaviours as well, mainly short fights and persecution. This could be a problem...

If your birds are well comfortable with one another, they might be just practicing sexual activity (training) or they might be attracted sexually to one another. In that case as Tikitiel said, no need to worry, particularly considering they are males and no egg is going to pop up.
awesome! thanks so much.. theyā€™re from the sa,e clutch and have always been housed together. glad thereā€™s no harm to either one

Most Reactions