Two or one Cockatiel?

krystof.chabr

Apr 5, 2023
Czech Republic
Parrots
None yet.
All Iam asking is really in the title. I have read and seen various articles about that, but some people say it's better to have just one because it is easier to bond with, and others say two because it's good for them to have a same species buddy around. What do you all think? Should I get one or two Tiels?

Oh and also! Silly question, do you think that it's okay to bring a Tiels home in a cat carrier? Obviously fresh and clean from all the cat.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Yes it would be safe to bring them home in a cat carrier. and depending on the carrier model you can attached a perch inside.

TBH I think 2 would be better. I only have one cockatiel and she does okay but she would probably be better off with a friend.

Plus if there are already two bonded cockatiels that you can get, why separate them? And it's just easier because if you were to go the route of getting a friend later on, there is no guarantee they would bond.

OP
krystof.chabr

krystof.chabr

Apr 5, 2023
Czech Republic
Parrots
None yet.
Oh thank you very much! Yup, I was thinking about two from the start, cause more birb more fun. Do you think that the breeder knows which pairs are bonded? Silly question probably, just wanna have my stuff together.

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
I carry Sugar from home to home in a small cat carrier. I don't have a perch in it either. I have a thick towel in there. It's just easier and lighter than the bird carrier I have. And when in the car or when she is by herself I put on Pandora on Yoga Radio. The music calms her.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Oh thank you very much! Yup, I was thinking about two from the start, cause more birb more fun. Do you think that the breeder knows which pairs are bonded? Silly question probably, just wanna have my stuff together.
you can ask, they likely know which birds stick together more often if they're kept in aviaries.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
All Iam asking is really in the title. I have read and seen various articles about that, but some people say it's better to have just one because it is easier to bond with, and others say two because it's good for them to have a same species buddy around. What do you all think? Should I get one or two Tiels?

Oh and also! Silly question, do you think that it's okay to bring a Tiels home in a cat carrier? Obviously fresh and clean from all the cat.
A cat carrier is fine to transport a cockatiel or two. When I had a cockatiel years ago he was fine as a solo bird but he was hand fed by the breeder and was an exceptionally tame male who loved his humans. We spent quite a bit of time with him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts