Two Qs related to new Baby Sun Conure - How do I redirect his noise from now...

Rouya

Feb 24, 2021
The Gulf
As the title says guys - Yes I am aware that if I didn't want to deal with loud noise that a Sun Conure wouldn't be wise. I am simply asking how to set the rules from now rather than later.

Also - I have a Caique who has taken a keen interest and keeps nipping at the baby although the Conure isn't making any sound how can I tell if it's just playing or otherwise? Thanks in advance!!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Caique are known not to get along with other birds...don't allow any nipping.

Is this a fully weaned baby? Oftrn even weaned young babies will revert to needing a few had feeding on a new home. Onky use baby bird formula, do not use bsby human formula. Is he maybe begging for food. Even when they eat some on their own tey might need support feeding. How many weeks is the baby?

Also answer contact calls, abd young burds need more hands on , and time to adjust.
This is great fir any parrots nit just stressed parrots. Observation isn't leaving them alone in cage abd nit getting them out. Its just great to Observation, I take time every few days to do this. It talks about early weaning and stress and food sn anxiety. Aldo about patterning. Its worth a close read.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Caique, can kill other parrots. Usually the only success to have a different species with them is introducing them as babies.....how old is yours?
tp://shadypines.com/caique-interaction.htm

" Caiques are quite aggressive parrots. And they make sure they show their anger to all their cage mates. ... This is due to Caique's extremely territorial nature. And those pet Caiques that have managed to get along with other birds are the ones that were either born and brought up or adopted together at infancy."

You have kind of jumped in the deep end with all these parrots.
This is a good body language and normal behavior, and some info on problem behavior article.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Parrots are not easy pets to have..even after having them for over 20 years, I keep reading and learning, and adapting. Unfortunately I dont know of any active members with Caiques. Im sure we have members who have them, they just don't visit and post often.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Bird tricks on YouTube, has lots if great training and behavior vior, and foraging videos.

This link starts out with a lot of plugs for her products. But then she shows you several days of training a Caique to roll over. A very energetic charismatic parrot. I think she is very good at understanding behavior, and adapting to the parrot she works with. They hsve many species videos. .
[ame="https://youtu.be/wx1CXjYwyrQ"]This Might Be The Last ChiChi Video ðŸ˜* | Which of These BIRD TRICKS is Your FAVORITE? - YouTube[/ame]

This is the first day with the caique in the above video, and she starts with target training. You can sure see the difference in this first video, how hesitate he is. Evidently his owner died, and he was being rehomed. She was helping with the transition.

[ame="https://youtu.be/qYeeUtbDBfo"]My First Day With a New Parrot | ChiChi The Caique - YouTube[/ame]
Here she talks basic sun conure stuff. Emphasis on that they are loud, sbd neighbors complain. She uses foraging before their loud times to keep them busy sbd cut down on noise. If I want to watch a movie, ir I have an important phone call to make, I also do this, or I encourage a bath, as they are usually quiet for snout a half hour after a bath. Then treat foraging, and I csn make it through a phone conference or movie. So it kind of like the other link, patterning, routines, to help manage noise.
[ame="https://youtu.be/sMyk4Ng5ZaM"]CONURE CARE | All About Conure Parrots as Pets!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
R

Rouya

Feb 24, 2021
The Gulf
Caique, can kill other parrots. Usually the only success to have a different species with them is introducing them as babies.....how old is yours?

" Caiques are quite aggressive parrots. And they make sure they show their anger to all their cage mates. ... This is due to Caique's extremely territorial nature. And those pet Caiques that have managed to get along with other birds are the ones that were either born and brought up or adopted together at infancy."

You have kind of jumped in the deep end with all these parrots.
This is a good body language and normal behavior, and some info on problem behavior article.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Parrots are not easy pets to have..even after having them for over 20 years, I keep reading and learning, and adapting. Unfortunately I dont know of any active members with Caiques. Im sure we have members who have them, they just don't visit and post often.
Hey there, Laura. Thank you so much for educating me. Fortunately I have learned a lot with my experiences and although I have a lot to learn I am making sure I am observing according to what you have posted. The Sun is 6-7 weeks old and has introduced some fruits into his diet. I will take the time out to read all that you have posted.

OP
R

Rouya

Feb 24, 2021
The Gulf

My Caique is two years old and Sun is 6-7 weeks. Do you mean that they should both be introduced in infancy or would it suffice if the Conure is a baby alone? As mentioned in another thread the Caique has seemed to take a likening to my Sunny.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So you are hand feeding the baby dun conure? Because that's to young to be weaned. So the screaming can be yiu arent feeding enough.

Most Reactions