Two questions

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
How many walnuts per day is too many for a sulphur crested cockatoo?

Second question is for those who order bulk quantities of cuttlebones. How do you store them? They stink. I can't store them outdoors, too many wild animals around here.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That is a interesting question: "Number of Walnuts per day"? Since Walnuts are not indigenous to the Home Range of Toos additional care should be applied. That said, nuts as a group should be a controlled part of the diet as they tend to be an enriched food source and are more commonly provided as a treat. Parrot size compared to provided treat, one should limit the volume to two Walnuts (four halfs') per day as a maximum. Since your Too likes them, consider using them as a treat for training.

I have not provided Cuttlebones for a very long time. Storing them, I would first think of Freezing them. But you state that they stink and one would not want to introduce an odder into one's Freezer. First try double Ziplock bagging them and try a smell test prior to adding to your Freezer. Still stink, try sealable glass jars.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Are looking for training treats? Popcorn works well fo my birds. I pop the old fashioned way as I don't know if Popcorn makers have Teflon or those chemical nonstick coating.

You aren't just stuck using cuttlefish now, their are edible calcium perches and minerals blocks, boiled egg shell, plus many vegetables contain calcium.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
John, if the nuts are in shell and you are asking for enrichment, San Diego Zoo recommend 2 nuts a day . I imagine they have a nutritionist on staff, tho , lol you never know if they were consulted. ... found on their sulfur cockatoo page

OP
JohnH

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
Thanks guys. Yes the walnuts are a treat. I'm not 100 percent sure she is consuming them or enjoying the challenge of removing the nut from the shell. But she does get excited when she sees me coming with one in hand.

In December i took in 3 budgies from a relative that passed away from covid. I gave the budgies a cuttlebone and the female budgie quickly chewed it to dust. Since then the cockatoo has started following her lead. I went through 4 cuttlebones since mid December. I have a large mineral perch next to the cuttlebone. The birds stand on it and chew on the cuttlebone. None of the birds chew on the mineral perch or mineral blocks. As far as the smelly cuttlebones go, i would like to find a place to let them air out.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Awww that's awesome yep I'd give them as many as they wanted too, even its just to destroy
Maybe you need to stick a picture of them on the little bird photo thread

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I offer my Goffins and Citron cockatoos 1/2 walnut in shell weekly. They also enjoy single shelled almond every other day or so.

Don't use cuttlebones, sorry unable to advise!

OP
JohnH

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
Thanks for your input Scott. I have been alternating almonds as treats also.

I left 2 cuttlebones on the kitchen counter for the past couple days. The smell has dissipated quite a bit. I put one of them on the cage and the female budgie was chewing on it 15 minutes later. I may try to put a couple in a small cage outside to air out next time.

Attachments

• 20220204_141047.jpg
    20220204_141047.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 79

Most Reactions