Two Young Budgies - taming questions

ddobs

Dec 27, 2020
Minneapolis
Parrots
Two budgies hatched September 2020.
Hi all. I have tried to find an existing post that addresses my questions, which I think relate to having two birds. So please disregard if you've "seen this one before."

Clarence (small budgie) is pretty willing to step up onto a stick and come out of the cage for millet. George (larger budgie) is much more reluctant, although he will eat millet from my hand. I have tried leaving the cage door open and playing them budgie videos to lure them out. Once George came out on his own; at that point it was easy to get him onto my hand.

It's been 5 weeks and I fear that if George stays in his cage he will become increasingly unlikely to come out at all. I think part of the issue is that they are already very bonded to each other. Would it help to temporarily separate them in two cages in the same room? George may then be more likely to come out - if only to fly over to Clarence's cage. Then I could get him on my hand and spend time with him. Alternatively, would I set our training back by removing some perches so he can't always avoid me - and scoop him up with my hand?

Thanks to anyone who has insight to share.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
It’ll be ok, some birds just progress at their own rate. You also have to find a better motivator/reinforcer since millet clearly isn’t cutting it.

One way to start is by using target training to get George to come out of the cage on his own. That way you aren’t forcing it, he comes out (use it to get him in too!) of his own volition.

Use the scenario to your advantage: parrots learn through observational learning. They see one parrot doing things and getting rewards, and they’ll eventually get jealous and want to try to get the rewards himself.

Keep it to the basics for a while: frequent formalized step up training sessions for Clarence in front of George , frequently offering George opportunities during these sessions. He’ll get it eventually.

OP
D

ddobs

Dec 27, 2020
Minneapolis
Parrots
Thank you, I appreciate it! Will learn more about target training and try the step-up sessions with George watching.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

My pleasure!

Ah, sounds like you aren’t familiar with clicker training! Look it up and start, it’ll be of immense value to you here.

Once you understand how a clicker works, use it to begin target training, which means to teach a bird to touch the end of a stick. Sounds useless but it’s incredibly valuable, as it can be used to convince a reluctant parrot to move around to places it is reluctant to go, like to come out of a cage...or even onto hands!

Last edited:
OP
D

ddobs

Dec 27, 2020
Minneapolis
Parrots
I actually did have a clicker and training stick. I just hadn't used them for moving the bird around inside his cage. George had NEVER followed me (er, the stick) anywhere before. Within five minutes he had associated nibbling the stick with getting a treat. I even got him to hop from one perch to the other by this method. Clarence was so excited by this new trick he hopped onto my hand and out of the cage. A good start!

OP
D

ddobs

Dec 27, 2020
Minneapolis
Parrots
I am watching a budgie video series produced by Bird Tricks. They say you shouldn't house two budgies in the same cage, so if you have two, you should have two cages. They said it's mainly for safety, but it's also better for training the birds (i.e., so they can't see and interact with each other all the time). Does anyone strongly disagree with this advice? My budgies do posture a lot and sometimes act aggressively toward each other - although no injuries have occurred since I got them 6 weeks ago. The rest of the time they follow each other around and seem to enjoy each other's company. However, I am having difficulty training them, mainly getting them out of the cage. They seem to want to stay there with each other all the time. It takes a lot of coaxing and patience to get them out.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Many of us are fans of bird tricks. I agree housing them together can be detrimental to your training.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have 3 male budgies that live together. Budgies are such flock creatures, id find it very rare they would harm each other. My never have.

I haven't tried to train mine tho. I have one who has befriend me, after 2 years. Lands on my head, and we play, and now will step to hand from my head. And recently started to give me kisses. My newest rescue from the great outdoors, is also landing on me and showing interest. But the other male stays as far away from me as possible.

For me I wouldn't separate. But mine are all rescues and my goal was just to give them a good life. That's different than your aim to have a close relationship and train, which is fantastic.

I've been thrilled with the unexpected friendship development I've been having.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
OP
D

ddobs

Dec 27, 2020
Minneapolis
Parrots
Thanks so much for posting this. I have seen it before but now it is in one of my threads!

OP
D

ddobs

Dec 27, 2020
Minneapolis
Parrots
I think it's great that you have rescued some budgies. I think I would be content with giving them a good life, as you said, if I hadn't gotten mine from a breeder/aviary. Seeing how mine are young and (I hope) a bit impressionable, I want to maximize my chances of bonding with them. They are adorable little guys! I did find a wide double flight cage with a removable divider in the middle from Kings Cages. That may be a way for me to separate the birds while still letting them be neighbors.

OP
D

ddobs

Dec 27, 2020
Minneapolis
Parrots
The ongoing story of Clarence and George - read if you'd like.

I am leaning away from adjacent flight cages because I've read that more separation may be required in order to tame a reluctant bonded bird. So I'm thinking of getting a slightly smaller cage (but still with ample room) for George and keep it in my bedroom/office for a while. If I can get him to a point where he's willing to come out with me regularly, I could try re-introducing him to Clarence in the large flight cage - or moving the second cage into the same room as the first. I just don't want to let him sit in his current cage 24 hours a day, day after day, and become cage-bound. I'm also getting a table stand to use with both birds when they're out of the cage. Based on my experience with George outside the cage, he does fine and should adapt. I'll just have to make sure to give each bird a lot of time during this period of separation.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Will be fun to follow along. We had a trucker 18 wheels of steel just love that name! Who git 2 budgies a male and female to keep him company on the road. He was able to make friends and it was fun to follow his story. But he had health issues, and hasn't been posting.

I wish you great success with your beautiful tiny parrots so full of personality!

Most Reactions

Latest posts