JasonSin

Dec 4, 2021
Parrots
Timneh hybrid
I am studying biology and am specializing in genetics and am mostly interested in hybrids. We all know that cockatoos or macaws can crossbreed, we often see harlequin or catalina macaws. But what about an amazon x conure hybrid? Or caique x pionus? Or African grey x red fronted?

The last one I own myself. Sumo the timney african grey x red fronted parrot. He's healthy, sweet and dumb haha

Please post pictures of your rare hybrids! I always find it interesting to see what they look like.

Attachments

• 20211204_170800.jpg
    20211204_170800.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 272

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I've just reminded that on Tenerife there were orange winged amazon and a scaly headed pinous crossbred... in the wild. I refound the article (I'm not giving the link cos it's in Czech), but no pics of babies...

Later I can write more rare hybrids which I remind, cos I was interested in that too and already heard about many of them

Edit: no wait. I'm not sure but I think this parrot on the right is the hybrid

1638637840107.png

OP
JasonSin

JasonSin

Dec 4, 2021
Parrots
Timneh hybrid
I've just reminded that on Tenerife there were orange winged amazon and a scaly headed pinous crossbred... in the wild. I refound the article (I'm not giving the link cos it's in Czech), but no pics of babies...

Later I can write more rare hybrids which I remind, cos I was interested in that too and already heard about many of them

Edit: no wait. I'm not sure but I think this parrot on the right is the hybrid

View attachment 32790
This one is the same. I didn't know he was in tenerife!

Attachments

• hybrid4.jpg
    hybrid4.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 125
  • hybrid3.jpg
    hybrid3.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 130

Ma2s

Oct 3, 2021
PA
Parrots
Timneh-Cape Hybrid,
Blue-crowned Conure
I am studying biology and am specializing in genetics and am mostly interested in hybrids. We all know that cockatoos or macaws can crossbreed, we often see harlequin or catalina macaws. But what about an amazon x conure hybrid? Or caique x pionus? Or African grey x red fronted?

The last one I own myself. Sumo the timney african grey x red fronted parrot. He's healthy, sweet and dumb haha

Please post pictures of your rare hybrids! I always find it interesting to see what they look like.
My Timneh hybrid is also sweet and dumb, wow. Please post more pics of Sumo, I need to see how similar they are. Any idea how old he is? Where did you get him?

Last edited:
OP
JasonSin

JasonSin

Dec 4, 2021
Parrots
Timneh hybrid
My Timneh hybrid is also sweet and dumb, wow. Please post more pics of Sumo, I need to see how similar they are. Any idea how old he is? Where did you get him?
Mine is from Belgium and was an accident in an aviary. He ended up in a large and good petstore, but because he was just a display bird he has a disadvantage(?). I think he would be a lot smarter if I'd own him since a younger age because they didn't do much with him.

I can post more pics later but they are literally twins. Sumo lost some red color though, and his beak is darker and smaller. He had a lighter beak when he was younger though. I think he's around 3 years old?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've always wondered about amazon x pionus! Would love the links, even if in another language! ;)

We do have Caique x Conure as well.

I've shared this before.... which includes Sumo's sibling. Personally, I love Sumo's coloring!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I've always wondered about amazon x pionus! Would love the links, even if in another language! ;)

We do have Caique x Conure as well.

I've shared this before.... which includes Sumo's sibling. Personally, I love Sumo's coloring!

For you - the link to pionus x amazon hybrid article: https://www.ararauna.cz/2021/03/na-...upinkovym-neni-to-ojedinele-upozornuje-vedec/ (note: in Czech "amazon" and "pionus" sound a bit similar, I don't know how Google translator will translate)

lorikeet x rosella - I think I've heard about such hybrid before but how they can live? It's a hybrid of two parrots which have totally different diet....

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Rainbow Lorikeet x Crimson Rosella - a photo on Flickriver

(Apparently) a hybrid of a crimson rosella and rainbow lorikeet
Yes, Roz, how do they survive? What are their diets?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
For you - the link to pionus x amazon hybrid article: https://www.ararauna.cz/2021/03/na-...upinkovym-neni-to-ojedinele-upozornuje-vedec/ (note: in Czech "amazon" and "pionus" sound a bit similar, I don't know how Google translator will translate)

Thank you! I appreciate it! :)

lorikeet x rosella - I think I've heard about such hybrid before but how they can live? It's a hybrid of two parrots which have totally different diet....

There's also King Parrot x Rainbow Lorikeet... King body, rainbow colors!

Very odd hybrids indeed... and yes, I'd like to now what their ideal diet would be as well! :LOL: Do the hybrids have brush tongues? Or normal tongues? Or somewhere inbetween? Does it vary between hybrid offspring?

I have heard that lorikeets will eat seeds given a chance...

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
The only 'hybrid' I have is my violet recessive pied cinnamonwing budgie with a (presumed) genetic issue that causes small feet.
D3EA24EC-F0FB-4731-8785-9B7E13DF85D0.jpeg

His feet aren't that small, but smaller than a normal budgie's even though he's a big bird.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Last edited:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The only 'hybrid' I have is my violet recessive pied cinnamonwing budgie with a (presumed) genetic issue that causes small feet.
View attachment 35571
His feet aren't that small, but smaller than a normal budgie's even though he's a big bird.
Maybe your budgies is part English Budgie and has the larger English body but smaller feet? He looks pretty normal and quite beautiful to me. I wouldn't even notice his feet are small.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Maybe your budgies is part English Budgie and has the larger English body but smaller feet? He looks pretty normal and quite beautiful to me. I wouldn't even notice his feet are small.
He died, but while he was alive he definitely had small feet. Or very thin/delicate feet. He aslo had some neurological issues, so likely he just wasn't bred well.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
It's an old thread but today I read about a new hybrid - blue-fronted amazon x blue-and-gold macaw

View attachment 54523

It was bred in Portugal (the vid title is in Czech just because its owner send it to a Czech site) and it's probably the first macaw x amazon hybrid

Here are more pics of the babie: https://www.ararauna.cz/2023/09/co-...y-v-portugalsku-odchovali-unikatniho-hybrida/
Update - this bird is still alive

1696406916510.jpeg

From what I read, currently its owner is preparing to write an article for a science magazine (also doing DNA tests)

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Update - this bird is still alive

View attachment 54852
From what I read, currently its owner is preparing to write an article for a science magazine (also doing DNA tests)

What an absolutely stunning bird! It looks more like a macaw to me, but the colors are all wrong, LOL!

Most Reactions

Latest posts