Untreated Lumber sap

tfw

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw
I got some untreated whitewood from Home Depot to make toys. But when cutting it up, noticed a few knots still felt like there was some sap. Should I toss those or can they be baked off?

Also should I sand off a bit of the edges? When I cut them with the mitre saw, there was some splintering. I wasn't sure if I should worry, since I'm sure Kass will make his own splinters anyway.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sounds like the trim wood had not been dried long enough.

It is important to understand that when you buy lumber, you need to inspect each board prior to buying. That same sap dripping trim lumber would be a serious pain to paint, let alone, use it for Parrot toys. It is not uncommon for Big Box Stores and Lumber Yard's buy open spec or class 2 lumber. If the pain of inspecting each piece of lumber is too much, simply spec Cabinet Grade Lumber. BUT, understand that you are likely to pay twice as much.

The sap will not kill your Parrot, but they will drive you nuts as they look for the most expensive surface to clean it off their bill.

Check your mitre saw blade, as there should not be any splintering. Likely, you're using the wrong cross-cut blade.

Last edited:
OP
tfw

tfw

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw
I debating coloring the wood...but decided I will just not paint and leave it natural. I seriously don't think he cares LOL

Good to know about the sap not being poisonous...just a pain. There were only a few pieces that felt a bit sticky. Nothing dripping out or anything. I was more concerned how bad it would be if he got sap on himself.

And yes....I didn't really change the blade so it's likely from the blade. There isn't a lot of pieces that splintered. Just a few that I can easily sand down.

Not worried of him cleaning off of things :) We know parrot ownership means the house is its chew toy LOL .

Most Reactions

Latest posts