Update on Bondi the grumpy lovebird - mixed signals?

acro

Nov 30, 2021
Parrots
Bondi, lovebird
I'm not sure whether to say things are getting better or not, so I'll just say what's happened.

Since my last post, I've been sticking my hands in the little door where his bowl is, and feeding him a little bit of seed, after he finishes his breakfast. I put them in the corner of the cage and let him come to me, to make sure I'm intruding his space as little as possible. He'll trust me enough to jump straight onto my hands (where he used to climb over and carefully climb on - he hasn't flown to me yet, mainly because he's already by the door before I even have my hands in), and he'll eat all the seed happily enough. If I were to move a finger to touch him, he has no problem with it, and won't even turn to look at it. While he's in my hands, he'll be fine to have his back to me, be sitting comfortably in my hands, let me talk to him and move around a little if I get uncomfortable, all that. Sounds good, right? Well, while he seems calm and collected, his wings will be shaking. So I would guess he's still more nervous than he lets off, which isn't a problem, he'll trust whatever gives him food soon enough. Problem is, after he finishes the seeds, he turns on me and goes bitey mode. Sometimes he'll hop off, go clean his beak, get a drink of water, etc, not problem; but usually he finishes eating, checks for any seeds he missed, and starts biting my fingers again. Sometimes when I first put my hands in he'll bite for a second (hard, not testing before he gets on) but will all of a sudden be fine and get up to eat - which has left me very confused.

So he bites (sometimes), and I assume he wants me out of there, but all of a sudden he's climbing up to eat and seems to have full trust to eat. And yet, his wings are shaking. He'll stop to scratch an itch, even preen for a short moment, and all seems to be well, but once he doesn't have any more food he'll go back to biting.

Another thing I've been doing is poking a hand through one of the top doors and just letting it hang there on one of the perches. It's still out of the way, to the side of the cage. He'll jump up onto the perch, flapping his wings, biting quite hard, and then will be gently checking out my fingers, bracelets, climbing my sleeve a little. Then he'll go from checking out my fingers to full-on biting my fingers (he seems to hate my pinky in particular). Suddenly then he'll have no problem, preening on the perch right next to my hand, not a care in the world, and while he's calm he'll happily eat a seed or a small bit of millet from my hands. Again, once the food is gone, he'll go back to biting.

As much as I would feel bad giving up on him and be glad to keep trying, I'm wondering if he would be better off with someone more experienced? I would be happy with the knowledge he can be bonding with someone and was with someone who could understand how he was feeling and wasn't unknowingly making mistakes. Opinions/tips? x

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
It seems to me that he has already bonded to you. As a matter of fact, he is so relax and so happy that he is asking for more!

I think he is spoiled rotten and he would be heart broken without you. As for his bites, he is asking for a refill. But since he was not trained, he does not know how to ask nicely.

He may also be trying to be dominant. Birds that sit above your eye level sometimes try to be a flock leader. So do make sure that he is not perching above you.

Here is the situation, you said, "Problem is, after he finishes the seeds, he turns on me and goes bitey" and "usually he finishes eating, checks for any seeds he missed, and starts biting my fingers again."

Next time he eats, I suggest you try holding a bottle of seed near by. If he turns to check for any seed he missed,....quickly give him a refill. If he no longer bite then this theory is correct. And then, you can start training him about bite pressure.

Also, if it hurts do not hold it, do not act like you are not hurt. I have tried this. Acting like it doesn't hurt results in harder bites to make the point. So I make a big face, act like it really hurts....guess what.....the bites reduced in strength.

Post in thread 'Bite pressure training?' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/bite-pressure-training.63988/post-598712

Hope this helps

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
New Strategies for taming Bondi.

From now on, you will become the flock leader. Spending time together strategically. He will learns to depend on you. No more food in his cage in the morning. No more flying away to hide.

1) Morning is when he is most alert and hungry. Move his cage and him to a new room, make you the only thing he is familiar with. It is best that this new strategic room is Small with out high shelf, with out hiding places.

2) shut the door, wear a glove to protect from his bite and give food by hand so that he is dependent on you. Keep calling his name, talk to him, say "good boy" while he eats. Keep refill until he is full. Then hold a glass of water for him. Again say good boy when he drinks.

Keep him below eye level at all times.

3) After he is full, turn your back while holding a new toy, bells or anything with new sound for him to get curious. Call his name. Walk away, let him come to you.

4) spend time with him at least 1 to 2 hours everymorning and evening like this. if it is a warm day, give him a bath. Teach him to step up on a wooden stick.

Play with him to create a stuck on an island together bond. Always Give him praise gor eating, drinking, flying to you, looking at you when you call his name. And smile for him.

Birds knows when you are worried or tense. You must be relax and in command.

5) in this new room, you will not chase him. Chasing makes him fear and may bite in self defense. Try reading or singing, turning your back on him. (Let him want your attention and follow you.)

6) Shake a new rattle toy in his cage. Let him get curious and went in on his own. If he doesn't respond, leave him in this new room. He will be happy to see you when you return.

7) during the day, birds are sleepy. Peek in to say hi but let him nap. Keep only water available.

8) in the evening, 2hours before sunset, bird will be alert and hungry. So he will be happy to see you come into the room. Put food and water in his cage. So he learns to like his cage from going back there to eat and sleep.

9) if he comes when call, you can let him stay with you in any room. But when he tries to act dominant, take him back to this small strategic room

More useful tips......

Why lovebird bite?

Lovebird body language

Stick training

Bondi is still a very young baby, good behaviors is just around the corner. He just need feedback from you. So give him good praise and say no, to teach him what he should or shouldn't do.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Welcome Acro!

Emeral gave you really excellent tips!!

I agree with Emeral once again as Bondi has already bonded to you. Lovebirds can be a quite challenging creatures. They are so full of personality and so smart, that I would say it is almost as having a 3 years old child with you.

Regarding Bondi flapping wings while he is eating on your hand, this is something I observed with the lovebirds babies I hand raised when they were starting the weaning process. Does it look like that:

One of my babies got really angry when there was no food left and bitted my fingers to ask for more. That brings me to an important question. How old is Bondi? Do you think he is already fully weaned? Sometimes the weaning process can take a long time and during that phase the bird will be most of the time starving, then anxious and grumpy.

You could try to check its keel/sternum bone. If it looks sharp, your bird is skinny and possibly loosing weight.

Regarding the other behaviours you described, they are all standard behaviours for a lovebird. Now it is time to concentrate on avoiding the ones you don´t want. Try saying "no". You will be surprised how quick they understand and respond to that. If the behaviour persists, put it a bit away of you. If he keep flying to you and biting, put him back in the cage for a short time.

Sometimes they just want to rest a bit and take a more relaxed time in the cage, but can not find their way to it. Remember that for small birds, 15 minutes can sound like an eternity, sometimes, frequent periods of 5 minutes out of the cage is all they want.

Most Reactions

Latest posts