upper respiratory infection..??

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
Vet will be called tomorrow

My bird has been to the vet with suspected upper respiratory infection.

SYMPTOMS - snuffling/squeaking/clicking sound when breathing
watery inflamed eye
sounds are worse when eating or sleeping at night or after a bath
when eating, has a lump on his neck that goes up and down
scratches/rubs his beak/face alot
occasional open mouth breathing

What are the best tests to do to try and find out the cause and what antibiotic will treat it..?? I'm thinking saline nasal flush and crop swab..?? would a nasal flush and crop swab show up different bacteria's..?? he has already had a month worth of antibiotics and metacam which cleared the breathing noises for a while but started up again 4 days before before his meds had finished. Vet did say about trying a nasal flush but I'm going to ask about crop swab too. Just seeing if anyone who's birds have been through this has any advice. Also, can I give my birds lugols iodine supplement and avipro (for possible vitamin deficiency) or could that be bad to use when I don't know what is causing his problems..??

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I'm sorry your little one has something going on! What did your vet end up doing? I agree with your idea of sinus flush and crop swab to check for other things like yeast as well as bacteria.

My parrot is small for his species so when he had respiratory symptoms we kind of did plan A-plan B type of things - we started with testing for chlamydia because it was very likely he had it, with where he came from, and then treated for that for 45 days. Once he was healthy from that, we tested him for other illnesses through bloodwork, but were only able to pick and choose the "bad" things to check since we could only get such a small amount of blood.

As far as supplements, I've been told that it's usually not a good idea to give them extra supplements unless your vet prescribes them because it's easy to over-supplement vitamins and minerals, and that can cause just as many problems as being deficient.

How is your parakeet doing today?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I thought that birds on a seed based diet needed vitamin supplements like nekton-s. But pelleted diets already have the supplemental added.

OP
L

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
It was yesterday he ended up going into the vet. He had the nasal flush and alot of pus and blood came out...is this normal? that will be getting tested. She didn't recommend crop swap as he is not being sick or regurgitating. She did try a blood test but he wouldn't stop wriggling and screaming so only got a tiny amount, and with that, vet will test red and white blood cells. Have been told I can add in Avipro twice a week. Read someone saying that supplements can't be given if birds have fungal or bacterial infections is this true? I did ask about Iodine deficiency but she said that was more in budgies. I do give pellets and veg everyday but they but they mostly don't bother with the pellets and usually only eat the veg they like - kale. Also try sprouts and dried flowers, which they barely touch so mostly seeds, either dry or I will soak them which they prefer

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
It sounds like you had a productive vet visit and got some good information!

If there was pus that is a sign of infection. Maybe in his sinus?

I'm not sure about the question of supplements while fighting an infection but if your vet recommended starting AviPro, I personally would. Especially if they're going to have you start giving medication for whatever is going on after they get the test results - probiotics can help keep things in balance while they're on antibiotics for example.

I'm glad you updated and I hope you get more answers soon 💚

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Pus and blood from a nasal flush is NOT normal.

Supplements can be given if a bird is sick but I am wondering why the bird would not be treated for infection. Did I miss something? Are they waiting for results of culture and sensitivity?

I wish the best for you and your bird.

OP
L

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
Is upper respiratory infection and sinus infection the same thing? Hopefully it means I'm going to get answers when it is tested. Yeah will definitely just start them. He was on antibiotics for a month but stopped working on the last 4 days so the nasal flush is to have it sent away to be tested to hopefully find out what is going on and what treatment he needs

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
“Upper respiratory infection” means an infection of the upper respiratory tract. Like nose, mouth, throat in humans and their analogues in birds. Sinus infection means an infection of the facial sinuses which make up a good amount of the head area of a bird.

So upper respiratory infection could include sinuses but if I or my bird had an infection in sinuses, not just irritation from a virus, I would call that a sinus infection. Ex: I get a cold (that’s an upper respiratory infection) but if it sticks around and I get an infection in my sinuses from all the snot and irritation sitting around (due to the virus) then that’s specifically a sinus infection.

Most Reactions

Latest posts