Urgent!! blood feather too small to pluck out

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
my bird is bleeding horribly right now and the blood feather is cut too small to pluck out i covered it with cornstarch it seemd to be doing fine but its still bleeding a bit at the moment the wing is covered with a cloth i have no idea what to do

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm not sure what you mean by "cut too small to pluck out". You can try to staunch the flow of blood by covering with corn starch and holding the shaft between your fingertips, tweezers or a small pair of pliers. You will need to hold her VERY still so as not to damage her wing, so you may need another person to assist you. If it still does not stop bleeding you will need to get her to a vet urgently, there are several in your area....

Elite Veterinary Clinic, District Unit No.1، Prince Muhammad Ibn Saad Ibn Abdulaziz Rd, Al Aqiq, phone 9200 11626

Animal Welfare Clinic, King Abdul Aziz Rd, Al Wurud,
phone 11 488 8747

Tilad Veterinary Centre, Al Janadriyah Rd, Ar Rimal, phone 53 433 3312

I wish you all the very best of luck!

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I'm not sure what you mean by "cut too small to pluck out". You can try to staunch the flow of blood by covering with corn starch and holding the shaft between your fingertips, tweezers or a small pair of pliers. You will need to hold her VERY still so as not to damage her wing, so you may need another person to assist you. If it still does not stop bleeding you will need to get her to a vet urgently, there are several in your area....

Elite Veterinary Clinic, District Unit No.1، Prince Muhammad Ibn Saad Ibn Abdulaziz Rd, Al Aqiq, phone 9200 11626

Animal Welfare Clinic, King Abdul Aziz Rd, Al Wurud,
phone 11 488 8747

Tilad Veterinary Centre, Al Janadriyah Rd, Ar Rimal, phone 53 433 3312

I wish you all the very best of luck!
thank you the bleeding stopped but the feather is still in her skin by too small to pluck out i mean that the most of the feather is on the floor the remaing bit is still in her sking and bairly visable i tried with strong tweezers but didnt work i think she is molting rn so hopefully it falls out

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
If she is moulting then this is likely a new feather that will not fall out until her next moult. You will need to monitor closely to ensure the bleeding does not start up again. If what is left of the feather starts to irritate her she may nibble or scratch at it which may cause it to bleed again. A vet will be able to remove the remains of the shaft so that the follicle that it grows from closes over and prevents further bleeding.

Take care!

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
If she is moulting then this is likely a new feather that will not fall out until her next moult. You will need to monitor closely to ensure the bleeding does not start up again. If what is left of the feather starts to irritate her she may nibble or scratch at it which may cause it to bleed again. A vet will be able to remove the remains of the shaft so that the follicle that it grows from closes over and prevents further bleeding.

Take care!
she seems to be flying well and doesnt seem to be bothered with it she hadent touch it once i might still take her to a vet just incase

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
she seems to be flying well and doesnt seem to be bothered with it she hadent touch it once i might still take her to a vet just incase
It would be best to keep her caged and not allow her to fly for the next 24 hours, as the exertion and actions of her wing may cause the bleeding to start again. I think it would be very if you took her to the vet.

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
It would be best to keep her caged and not allow her to fly for the next 24 hours, as the exertion and actions of her wing may cause the bleeding to start again. I think it would be very if you took her to the vet.
she judt flew because she got spooked by a sound outside ofcource i dont allow her to fly when she is bleeding btw do u have any tips for removing the dried blood?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
You can just use a clean cloth dipped in warm water for cleaning up, but don't clean the area immediately around the feather shaft so as to not remove the clotted blood, the bleeding may start up again if the coagulated blood is disturbed.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very sorry you are managing a challenging situation. Can you please post an image to help us share advice? Please make sure your bird is safe and stable before taking picture and uploading!

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Very sorry you are managing a challenging situation. Can you please post an image to help us share advice? Please make sure your bird is safe and stable before taking picture and uploading!

Attachments

• 0AFD4F7D-2093-485E-BC9E-99E45B11519B.jpeg
    0AFD4F7D-2093-485E-BC9E-99E45B11519B.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 218
OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums

Take care!
The feather was not from this molt so it might still fall out

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Impressive results, glad you removed horrible blood flow with minimal staining of surrounding area. Quite a tame bird allowing thorough cleaning!!
0afd4f7d-2093-485e-bc9e-99e45b11519b-jpeg.31011

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Impressive results, glad you removed horrible blood flow with minimal staining of surrounding area. Quite a tame bird allowing thorough cleaning!!
0afd4f7d-2093-485e-bc9e-99e45b11519b-jpeg.31011
thank you took me days to get the blood off haha

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
my bird is bleeding horribly right now and the blood feather is cut too small to pluck out i covered it with cornstarch it seemd to be doing fine but its still bleeding a bit at the moment the wing is covered with a cloth i have no idea what to do

no ofcorce its just that under her wing is fulled with blood

I'm sorry I don't quite understand. How did it take you days to get the blood off, when she was "bleeding horribly right now" and "her wing is fulled with blood" only a few hours ago? Am I missing something?

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I'm sorry I don't quite understand. How did it take you days to get the blood off, when she was "bleeding horribly right now" and "her wing is fulled with blood" only a few hours ago? Am I missing something?
isarcasm-

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Been less than 24 hrs since first post, must have seemed like days scrubbing light colored feathers! That's dedication!

Most Reactions

Latest posts