URGENT Help. Discolored, darkened feet

Reannah

Jul 14, 2021
Our new pet conure has a few issues with his left feet.
Their is discoloration on his feet which is not due to any dyes or food.
One of his claws is growing inward and I wonder whether the two are related ....

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forums!

Did your Parrot come home with the dark area already in placed or have they developed since you have had your Parrot home?

Photo are very helpful!

Note, a New Parrot Examination should be part of your goal when bring a Parrot into your life. If you have not, please set-up a visit to your Avian Medical Professional in the very near future.

Note: I have need seen an ingrown toe nail on a Parrot. You may be defining a missing toe nail? Once again, a photo would be helpful.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
what kind of perches do you have in the cage? Bumblefoot can be caused by uniform/smooth/dowel perches and it needs to be addressed ASAP by an avian certified vet (even if this is not bumblefoot, you need to get your bird to an avian vet)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My late quaker, Lucy, had a foot that got darker and heavily scaled because her leg had been broken when she was little. The foot wasn’t getting good circulation and she didn’t use it much in her last five years, so I think she didn’t wear away her foot skin
The leg rebroke about five years ago when she (possibly) jumped off her cage to come get me when I was sick. She couldn’t fly at all (injuries at same time as first leg break) and I found her with a broken leg on the floor. After a long difficult recovery, her foot had to be moisturized because the skin just wasn’t working right any more.
Foot problems are serious in parrot and birds in general because they can lead to systemic infections.

Most Reactions