Urgent help please!!!

kokothebirb

Mar 3, 2021
My lovebird has possibly ingested fibers from a collar she wore due to plucking/or have post injuries from almost drowning and receiving cpr.

Saturday night while she was sleeping (or I thought she was) she had her collar on. It was her first night of wearing it unsupervised. When I uncovered her on Sunday morning the cage floor was full of shredded material and fibers.

I removed the collar and gave her breakfast. She seemed fine and was eating normally. After she was done she started picking at her skin and drew blood.

I stopped the bleeding and tried giving her a shower and she aspirated. After her breathing was heavy and her eyes were closed. I was in full panic mode but I managed to give her CPR. It took half an hour to an hour for all the water to come out and I didn't stop until her breathing went back to normal. She regained consciousness and seemed her old self. I put her inside the cage and she rested for a while, started preening and ate/drank.

In the afternoon (2-3 hours later) she had black droppings and I rushed her to the vet. Pic here: https://m.imgur.com/AguXnqp

There aren't any certified avian vets in my country. So no vets here draw blood or do x-rays. I took her to the only vet open since it was a sunday. The vet gave me an antibiotic called sulfadimidine to add in her water for 3 days then a 2 day break then 3 days again.

Has anyone had any experience with the antibiotic? From what I can find online it's used antibacterial and used for coccidiosis/coccidia, toxoplasma, e-coli, staph, strep, salmonella, pasteurella. Which have no correlation with my lovebirds needs whatsoever. Should I discontinue use and consult another vet?

She only had 2 black poops yesterday (Sunday) and all the others after that were a normal green colour. She ate and drank normally after coming back from the vet.

Today she was back to her normal self. Excited to have breakfast (pellets/seeds) as usual and drank plenty from the antibiotic water as well lunch (veggies+fruit).

As for her droppings which she'd pooped overnight were already dried out in the morning and I found a string/near or in them. Pic of her droppings today (Monday) here: https://m.imgur.com/Zo2TgQX
After breakfast and lunch they were a normal green colour.

I know all of this is my fault. From leaving the collar on at night and not checking on her whether she's fine to trying to give her a bath and her almost drowning. I feel absolutely terrible and I don't know how I could've been so absolutely stupid.

Any advice in general would be really helpful. I don't want to lose her, she's my best friend. :(

Ps. I live in the Balkans, Macedonia specifically. Most antibiotics are for chickens/pigeons.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sorry that you had such a bad experience.

As a general 'non-professional statement, it sounds like what string was ingested are passing. The greatest concern is an impacted (full) crop. With the on-going passage of poop and eating implies you are very lucky.

The medication provided and method of offering it (in the drinking water) indicates that they have little or no concern regarding an infection. Medication for Avian are provide by injection or mouth.

Please change to a 'misting' bottle and 'mist' up into the air above.

Consider finding a 'larger animal' vet, sometimes called a Farm Animal Vet as they also care for the birds on the Farm.

Last edited:
OP
K

kokothebirb

Mar 3, 2021
Sorry that you had such a bad experience.

As a general 'non-professional statement, it sounds like what string was ingested are passing. The greatest concern is an impacted (full) crop. With the on-going passage of poop and eating implies you are very lucky.

The medication provided and method of offering it (in the drinking water) indicates that they have little or no concern regarding an infection. Medication for Avian are provide by injection or mouth.

Please change to a 'misting' bottle and 'mist' up into the air above.

Consider finding a 'larger animal' vet, sometimes called a Farm Animal Vet as they also care for the birds on the Farm.

Hi thanks for the reply. I'm going call several vets tomorrow morning for a second opinion. I'd rather talk to them first on the phone than going in person because I don't have a car and don't want to stress out my bird even more by taking a taxi.

Meanwhile I did some searching on local forums and the consensus is that vets here prescribe the same few medications and it's always by water instead of orally. The most popular seems to be an oral powder which is diluted in water.

(Živimicin vitamini + CTC)

1 g of oral powder contains:

• Chlortetracycline hydrochloride 55 mg
  • + vitamins
Indications:

The application of the medication ŽIVIMICIN® is indicated in the following cases:The medication is intended for the treatment of poultry from various primary and secondary infections, especially those of gastrointestinal and respiratory tract, such as: bacterial diarrhea, infectious synovitis, cholera, hexamitiasis, chronic respiratory disease (CRD).
Amounts to be administered and administration route:

In drinking water: 20 g of powder (4 tea spoons) on 5 L of water (which is equal to the chlortetracycline dose of 22 mg/kg of the body mass).This amount of water solution is enough for about 50 individuals whose average body weight is 1kg.
In feed: 10 kg of the medication to a ton of food, which corresponds to Chlortetracycline's concentration of 550 ppm.
The therapy lasts for 5 to 7 days.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and find a knowledgeable person that can help her. I'll report back tomorrow.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
chlortetracycline is a good antibiotic, and is used in the water.

I had to switch by orders of avain vet to giving doxycycline in water.

Most Reactions