URGENT Indian ringneck

Gagan123

Mar 18, 2021
Hi I live in Birmingham in the UK. I made the mistake of buying an Indian ringneck in lockdown without any previous knowledge on birds. I am at school and give it no time. It only has one tail feather and it is bent. It is always scratching and is bald on its head. It's violent to me sometimes but is also nice. It is a year and a couple months old and is male. I love it very much but fear it will die as I cannot take proper care of it. What should I do? Can anyone take it?

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
For right , are you able to take it to an Avian vet? The tail feathers sounds like the cage is too small or you have a perch too close to the bars of the cage and he’s breaking them. Mine will chew and break her feathers - she did have tail feathers when I got her and after I got her she grew them out then will start messing with them again. Mine loves to cause destruction- I get her the rabbit chew balls and sea grass mats (on Amazon’s they are 2 dollars a piece when you buy in bulk). She will not play with normal bird toys yet.

I mention taking her in to see a avian vet Becca use you said her head is balding. That I’m not sure what’s going on as I have no experience in this. How does her keel/chest bone feel? Is she eating alright? What do you feed her?

Indian ringneck parrots have an abundance of food in the wild and typicallly do not have to go with out. Almost very day mine gets blue berries or apples Or bananas with her veggies and sprouted seeds. I sometimes giver her organic peanut butter mixed with her sprouted seeds (she’s not a fan). Can you post any photos of her?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forum, thanks for seeking help and better life for your ringneck. You seem to have "buyers remorse" which is OK, respect for realizing a less than ideal situation. From what I've learned (but not experienced) ringnecks are challenging to tame and keep socialized. If you have decided to rehome, are there local sanctuaries or organizations willing to adopt? If so, the last gift you can give is finding an excellent new home.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Before you rehome, you should probably make sure you know why his feathers are in such bad shape (verify it is diet/cage-size and not disease). The baldness coupled with one tail feather makes me worried that a contagious viral disease, like PBFD , which should be ruled out first (IMO).

Its sounds like you need to find a way to make sure your bird is getting what it needs, with you or with someone else, but again, an avian vet should be seriously consulted no matter what.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Hi, that sounds like PBFD, aka Psitticine Beak and Feather Disease, a deadly and extremely contagious illness in parrots. Please call your local ag department! Let them know you have a suspected case of PBFD and where you got the bird so that the disease can be contained!

Also, are you ok after the storms last night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts