Urgent parakeet help

Alliegmarcin

Aug 24, 2021
Massachusetts
Parrots
Parrotlet named Quito
Parakeet named Clara
I noticed today that my parakeet had some sort of growth on her toe. I took a closer look and it seems like she had lost toenails on two toes and one of them is growing back really weird. She has been acting completely normal so I didnā€™t notice until today, she also doesnā€™t seem to be in any pain or anything. What should I do? Does anyone know what this is?
A9419E71-4729-42AB-AF76-DE7569A1D963.jpeg
F30F7B07-15AD-4728-8862-697AC14EFEA8.jpeg

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
Denim cobalt linnie (neelu)
Ouch! I second the avian vet!
I would take her in, personally.
Definitely call in and ask, if you canā€™t get in right away I would just ask someone about it. during the day they will have some drs or vet techs with experience that can help you, you could even email them a pic and get their suggestions on what to do, whether it merits going to an emergency clinic or not, etc.

Meanwhile, Iā€™m not an expert, just my personal opinion:
I also wonder if it could be ā€œbumble footā€ā€¦. The whole foot looks swollen and painful , at least to meā€¦ The nail thatā€™s growing back looks greenish almost like itā€™s infected?
And agree with the previous reply to remove all pumice or sand perches, check for rough spots, splinters etc on all perches.
Do you think it may have gotten the toenail caught in a toy? Just to be safe Iā€™d check toys for broken or shredded parts, things that might look suspicious where a little toenail could get snagged. Especially any metal parts like bells, or stringsā€¦
For the time being I would remove any rough or sharp toys as well.
( Iā€™m sure you donā€™t have any fleece huts! Those are dangerous for many reasons including getting toenails snagged. )
Maybe aloe Vera (the safe kind), cucumber juice, or coconut oil would be soothing ?
If you have vet wrap, you could wrap the roosting perch (where it sleeps) so she has the little tootsies on something soft and cushy for those long hours of sleep .
Poor little thing, I hope she feels better soon!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I agree with the member who noticed that the toes were swollen, and talked about bumble foot. That would likely need antibiotics.

Beautiful budgie!!!!! Awwww
Looks like a wonderful large cage!

But if they are choosing to aways perch on the metal edges. That can put press sores on the feet. So attache some natural and rope perches to the outside and top . Given them different options to rest their feet.

Diet can play a role in health. What is your beauty willing to eat?

OP
Alliegmarcin

Alliegmarcin

Aug 24, 2021
Massachusetts
Parrots
Parrotlet named Quito
Parakeet named Clara
I agree with the member who noticed that the toes were swollen, and talked about bumble foot. That would likely need antibiotics.

Beautiful budgie!!!!! Awwww
Looks like a wonderful large cage!

But if they are choosing to aways perch on the metal edges. That can put press sores on the feet. So attache some natural and rope perches to the outside and top . Given them different options to rest their feet.

Diet can play a role in health. What is your beauty willing to eat?
In the morning I give her chop that has some butternut squash, kale, spring greens, broccoli and grapes. Then in the afternoon I give her some pellet with a little bit of seed. I also usually put some millet on top of her food in the morning.
She is with another bird in the cage, should I separate them for the time being? Iā€™m just asking because you mentioned a possible bacterial infection.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wonderful diet and care for beauty.

Bumble foot is generally caused by , abnormal weight bearing on a foot, then the inflammation and swelling lead to a secondary bacterial invasion. This can be from perching on improper perches, or because more weight is put on one foot due to an injury or issues with the opposite leg or foot . Or due to an injury or infection getting into the foot showing the signs of infection.

Typically this is not spread to other birds.

Because the picture shows her perching on that metal railing, and that edge lines up with the sore. I wonder if she is choosing to perch there a lot. And if so, providing a better perching option in that location might be helpful

Bumble foot, if that's what this, takes antibiotics , sometimes foot soaks, and possibly bandage relieve the pressure on the foot. Something an avian veterinarian would need to advise and determine.

Last edited:

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
Denim cobalt linnie (neelu)
What a pretty baby!!! She is preciousā€¦please update us on how it goesā€¦

And give me your secrets for getting your budgie to eat all those veggies!!!
šŸ˜‰ a daily struggle for meā€¦ my budge knows she can just go ask daddy and heā€™ll give her a treat
She is so clever she will even ā€œpretendā€ to eat, make little smacking noisesā€¦šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Most Reactions

Latest posts