Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Wow!!! I'm so excited for you! I know it's not exactly on the time frame you expected, but looks like fate has stepped in. For whatever reason, it seems that this little guy is supposed to be with you. As I said before, I do believe that you will be an awesome parront. You're doing your research, and are open to ideas. The dead giveaway is your clear level of concern with his best interest.

I wouldn't be stressing over getting everything perfect for him right now. Since they have such hugely different personalities, your ideal might not be the same as his. Keep in mind that pretty much EVERYTHING you are doing is an improvement from what he knows. Most folks here wouldn't advise changing everything all at once anyway. He's got enough stress with the change of family.

It sounds like he's doing great so far (and you as well) so keep it up. Try to do things on his terms as far as what he's ready for. As was told to me, ekkies are great at doing what you ask, not so much with being told. Oh, as far as being handled, I've come to understand that ekkies in general are somewhat less snuggly than some others. Their feathers are quite different from other species and many don't like them "mussed up". Patches will tolerate me petting him, but would much rather sit facing me to study facial expressions and plant kisses. Again, you may have a different experience based on his personality.

Pictures please!!! And I think you'll be safe telling us his name too! Looking forward to seeing his progress [emoji16]

OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Cairo!

But with a CH sound for the C. His original family is Malay, hence the pronunciation. He doesn't seem to respond to it at all, but it's his name. He's more "Hello" than anything else - was quite hilarious in the taxi ride back with him constantly calling "Hello!" and my partner and I dutifully responding, "Hello." I'm surprised the driver didn't join in eventually :p

Ultimately I couldn't find a perch of varying sizes in time, so I bit the bullet and put in a rope perch to at least offer something other than the dowel. He does seem to be preferring the rope perch now, which I'm thankful for because it looks like one of his feet is peeling a little, plus a little toe (other foot) is caught in his S-hook (he wouldn't let me near him to fix it, but I know it doesn't cause any pain, just an annoyance when he wants to grip something small). I'm keeping an eye on the rope perch - the slightest sign of wear-and-tear and it's gonna be gone!

This morning, he was quite intrigued by the outside life and didn't say a word when I approached him for breakfast. He initially wasn't interested (also he had last eaten about 8 hours prior then slept immediately after).

But I had noticed he did smell a little dirty when we received him and this morning I could see better that he had some damage to his tail feathers and primaries also I think (my gut feeling is the cage is causing that damage). Haven't seen him preen yet (granted only a few hours together), so I tried a light mist spray which he did angle himself for. Still no wing flapping or preening, but he's on a protected windowsill so the sun should do him some good. He did shake it out a little, but no wing stretching. I'll offer him a bowl of water tomorrow if he wants to step outside of his cage.

He was a bit hesitant to eat breakfast until I handfed him a broccoli, then he immediately tucked into his pellet-sprinkled chop. Haven't noticed any toe-tapping this time, but I'm keeping an eye out for it.

He's quite protective of his cage (rightfully so) and very reluctant to leave, so I will have to postpone cleaning it. That is, unless you guys have a work around to suggest!

I'll also have to figure out a way to bring him to the vet. I'm pushing to have his S-hook removed ASAP since his toe keeps catching on it. But like I said, he's requesting personal space right now, and I don't want to impose too much. And I worry about him going back in the carrier they gave us (it had a top compartment with dead bugs in it!) I cleaned it out, but doubt he'll like going back in.

Attachments

• IMG_20180809_224222.jpg
    IMG_20180809_224222.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20180810_075002.jpg
    IMG_20180810_075002.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 102
OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Feather damage attached!

Attachments

• IMG_20180810_083459.jpg
    IMG_20180810_083459.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 85

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
imo I don't think rope perches are a huge risk for ekkies as in my experience and observing other ekkies and such, they just don't chew the rope. Most Lincoln does is wipe his beak on it after an especially messy breakfast. I too believe the damage to his feathers is due to the cage considering it's only at the very tips where it might brush against the cage. An over preening or barbering would be more spread out and all around the feather

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A good soaking bath will certainly help those feathers!

Hopefully you can get him a stand soon which would provide an opportunity away from the cage (even if right next to it) which may help with cage cleaning.

Most Reactions

Latest posts