Vacation: Board / Pet Sitter / or Take With Us?

songsparrow

Jul 15, 2013
Hi everyone,

My daughter has been waiting a long time to get a cockatiel, and will probably get to bring her new feathered friend home this week! :grey:

We have a vacation planned at the end of August - 3 days in a cottage and then a week at my mom's house, so 11 days total. We will be driving, with the longest driving distance being 8 or more hours (depends on traffic and construction).

Which would be the least stressful option for the bird:
1. Take the bird along with us.
2. Have a pet sitter come to our home.
3. Find a pet sitter to leave our bird at their house.
4. Board the bird at the breeder/pet store where we are getting him (so he'll be familiar with the people there).

Thanks for any advice!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Hi everyone,

My daughter has been waiting a long time to get a cockatiel, and will probably get to bring her new feathered friend home this week! :grey:

We have a vacation planned at the end of August - 3 days in a cottage and then a week at my mom's house, so 11 days total. We will be driving, with the longest driving distance being 8 or more hours (depends on traffic and construction).

Which would be the least stressful option for the bird:
1. Take the bird along with us.
2. Have a pet sitter come to our home.
3. Find a pet sitter to leave our bird at their house.
4. Board the bird at the breeder/pet store where we are getting him (so he'll be familiar with the people there).

Thanks for any advice!

I'm thinking because the cockatiel is new to the family that having a sitter come to the house would probably be the best bet. Or have your tiel go to a sitters.

I think it's best if the tiel is left in it's new environment though, so rather someone came to it so that it's not basically being "too'd and from'd" for a while, creating more unsettlement.

Probably not something you (or your daughter would like!) but could you not wait until after your holiday to bring a baby 'tiel home?

If it was a bird who was truely settled with you, I'd say bring it along, the more the merrier! Our birds come with us! :) But, yeah, to avoid any more stress and unsettlement I'd vote bird sitter to come to you.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I've actually seen plenty of people bring their Cockatiel to vacation with them and did just fine including me! I've seen a clipped tiel at the campground sitting on the boy's shoulders while he roller blades around the camp ground.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I've actually seen plenty of people bring their Cockatiel to vacation with them and did just fine including me! I've seen a clipped tiel at the campground sitting on the boy's shoulders while he roller blades around the camp ground.

My budgie Lila used to travel with me too! I'm not saying they shouldn't take the 'tiel, because it's a 'tiel. I'm just saying that because she's so new to the family it might upset the 'tiel. However, if it's a bird that adjusts quickly, I see no harm. Merlin was thrown from pillar to post pretty much every day for 6-8 weeks after we got him (at 8 weeks old). So I know it can be fine. :)

Let us know what you decide! :)

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
It seems that the venue is quite good for having the bird with you!

I wonder, if you start taking the bird on (short) outings right away, then the long trip won't seem a disruption of his environment.

Most Reactions

Latest posts