Vacationing with parrots ?!?!? 🦜

D

Deleted member 42416

We traveled with Rico from Texas to Florida last year to visit my family for the holidays. We drove so I can’t comment on air travel with a bird (though I’ve heard if they are considered an “emotional support animal” the airlines are more amenable).

He was in his car cage for the trip and we bought a bigger cage to stay in when we were there that was easily portable. Honestly, he never really used it. He was out most of the time and slept in the car cage.

Vacationing with your birby is wonderful! It’s a great adventure for them and they don’t have to go through the anxiety of separation from you. I highly recommend 😊

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Miles, Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure
I've traveled several times with my GCC. He has a small hamster cage that I use for his travel cage (but he can unlatch the lid so hoping to upgrade at some point. For now I just weight the lid so he can't lift it). He hates the travel cage so I usually have him out most of the trip unless I'm driving; then my siblings play with him as long as he doesn't fly up front. He loves to sit in the window and tell off the passing cars, which is hilarious. He gets all fluffy and starts shaking his head "no" and making every noise he's capable of at 100mph! And if I'm the one driving, he loves to sit on the steering wheel during stops to have a snack and a drink. I have a photo of him snacking on a peanut while perched on the wheel.
Anyway, I have a large parakeet cage for him at home that is collapsable, so I just fold it up and bring it wherever we're going. He has done super well at adjusting to a new place quickly. (He usually loves the rearrangement of toys and perches his cage undergoes whenever we go somewhere. It also helps to keep him occupied and not constantly freaking out about the new place when he can explore the new setup in his cage.)
I unfortunately don't have anyone close by that can adequately care for him the way he needs, so if I'm going to be gone more than a couple of days and my sisters can't take care of him, I have to bring him with me.
Some tips:
Place your bird in the travel cage the night before you leave, or several hours in advance, with the travel cage covered by a fairly thick blanket (obviously leave adequate ventilation, but you want the cage to be fairly dark inside, to keep the bird calm (you could also just place the cage in a darkened room). I have found this to be very helpful for Miles, because if he can see all of us rushing around trying to pack, he just screams the whole time.
I haven't tried this personally yet, but if your bird is prone to carsickness, you can try giving him some mint tea in place of water right before the trip. This is supposed to help settle the bird's stomach. We're taking a 3-day trip to KY next weekend, and I am taking Miles along. I'm planning to try the mint tea, as Miles is prone to getting carsick especially on curvy roads. I'll let you know how it goes.
During the trip, the needs will vary bird to bird. Miles hates his travel cage and therefore prefers to spend most of the trip cuddling under my shirt or sitting in the window watching the world go by if he feels good enough. If your bird likes his travel cage, it may be best for him and whoever's driving to leave him in there for most of the trip (from your avatar, it looks like you have an Eclectus, which isn't a small bird!). Always offer food and water during stops. Miles doesn't always take food, but he always welcomes a good drink.
When we reach our destination, if the situation permits, I try to leave Miles in his travel cage under a darkening cover until everyone and everything has been unloaded and the door is no longer being opened and closed frequently. Then I let him out while I set up his larger cage in a separate, safe place with a closed door, if there is one. If not, I would just leave him in his travel cage, covered. He loves to be on my arms/hands while I'm setting up his cage, right in the middle of whatever I'm doing. Then he can also get a sense of my confidence in a new place, which tends to rub off on him. If I'm confident, he can be confident. If I'm scared/unsure, then he will be too.
I usually try to spend a few minutes just with him in a closed room, so he can realize he's safe because Mommy is here with him. Throughout the first few hours, if he screams at all while I'm not with him, I try to respond immediately to his calls to reassure him that I'm still here, and I haven't left him forever. If he learns early on that I have not totally abandoned him, that I'm accessible when he needs me, the rest of the stay tends to go a lot better.
I usually can't spend a whole lot of the time with him out, because I have nine siblings and playing with my bird isn't top priority, especially while we're getting settled. But I always do my best to make sure Miles feels safe and at least somewhat comfortable before I leave him for the first time.
If I have to leave the building for any lengthy period of time and can't take Miles with me (I usually can't), I will ensure he has plenty of food and water, maybe give him a treat to enjoy, and cover his cage. Then when I return, I will quietly reenter the room and slowly remove the blanket so as to not startle him. He usually responds with a happy chirp and a hop to the front of the cage, eager to get out and cuddle or play.
As long as there are no predators around (cats, dogs, etc.) and all windows/doors are securely shut, I will let him out to fly and explore occasionally. If he gets disoriented and/or crashes and/or is just really anxious, I will catch him and take him back to the room where his cage is. Leave the lights off and just cuddle him for a few minutes, say his favorite words, and wait until he can comfortably sit on my finger, visibly relaxed. Then I would return him to his cage and cover it.
Basically, make sure that your bird is safe at all times, that he/she is comfortable, and that he/she is made aware that they can get your attention if and when they need it. Also, to maintain some sense of normalcy, do not let up on the training you were doing before you left. Keep up the bird's tricks, recall, potty training, etc., and this will encourage a confident bird. Maybe even try teaching him a new trick, if his personality and confidence permits. I wouldn't push too hard to teach new tricks if he's nervous and not very attentive.

Anyway, I hope this helps! In my experience (of course I only have one parrot so my experience isn't very wide), traveling with your bird is a fun and enriching adventure for both of you, if you take the measures to create an environment that allows it.

Happy Travels!

P.S.- I figure you probably know some of this stuff already... I was just trying to cover all the bases. 😊

Attachments

• 20210611_171556.jpg
    20210611_171556.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our DYH Amazon loves to travel and is alway ready for a road trip. We have long used motels while traveling with a common plan of waking early and traveling to the next area and as a result never had to deal with housekeeping. Since we always set Newspaper under him, clean-up was quick and easy.

For an extended number of years we traveled the upper Great Lakes by Sailboat and enjoyed our travels.

The major of Travel with a Parrot is getting them comfortable with riding in the automobile. We have found that SUV's are a better choice as it provides them near 360 degree view of what is hopping around them. Start with short trips to near by parks and expand from there.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Nico the ekkie is taking a road trip from Minnesota to Arizona in a car. I didn't want to stress him out, or cause harm to him.

The reasons I am bringing him:

1. He is on medication, and if he refuses to eat his birdie bread with his medication I have to use a syringe to administer his medication (twice a day).

2. Most of the population has no experience with parrots, and are very intimidated. The larger the parrot the more intimidated people are in my experience.

3. Nico is used to being out of his cage all day. He wouldn't do well being caged for hours on end during the day. I would come home to a featherless parrot.

4. Nico challenges strangers, and will intentionally bite. He only likes to be held by what he considers his chosen one. Three is a crowd in Nico's opinion (Nico is very mean to my husband).

Last edited:

mango_&_sunny

Nov 14, 2021
Parrots
Fischer's Lovebirds
We traveled with Rico from Texas to Florida last year to visit my family for the holidays. We drove so I can’t comment on air travel with a bird (though I’ve heard if they are considered an “emotional support animal” the airlines are more amenable).

He was in his car cage for the trip and we bought a bigger cage to stay in when we were there that was easily portable. Honestly, he never really used it. He was out most of the time and slept in the car cage.

Vacationing with your birby is wonderful! It’s a great adventure for them and they don’t have to go through the anxiety of separation from you. I highly recommend 😊
Wow, so was this almost a 20 hr car ride in total? Just trying to get my head around traveling in the car for 8-10 hours with my two lovebirds. Thanks for the inspo :)

D

Deleted member 42416

Wow, so was this almost a 20 hr car ride in total? Just trying to get my head around traveling in the car for 8-10 hours with my two lovebirds. Thanks for the inspo :)
Well! I hope I don’t break your inspo bubble, but it was East Texas to the FL panhandle. So, like about 8 hours total. I can’t stand long distance driving so 20 hours…I just wouldn’t leave home! 😃

Ramble

Jul 4, 2019
Now in the beautiful Midwest!
Parrots
Bertie, the feisty, 17-yr-old, road-trippin’, green cheek conure
Bertie and I road-tripped from California to Illinois last year. I just got a parakeet cage to use as her travel cage and seat-belted it in. The only time she complained was when I covered her up…otherwise she thoroughly enjoyed the view! Motels were very amenable to her in the room, so we didn’t have to sleep in the car:sleep:

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I just got home last Friday from Arizona. We drove the 24 hours. Nico did great the entire vacation, and he loved being able to sit on my shoulder in the car. I thought it would stress him out, and it didn't. Then when we got back Nico started tearing apart his tail feathers. As of now he has none left. I am contacting his vet on Monday. Maybe Nico hid the stress until he got home from vacation? :cry:

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
Does anyone have suggestions of how to vacation with a parrot? Has anyone attempted this? How did it go?
Hmm... I know some people have done this before. If you're talking about vacation where you go on a plane to travel it's practically impossible you have to get accepted to the flight, you have to take many tests to let them know that your bird has no virus and so much more but if you are talking about road trips you could try but it depends on the bird but some birds don't for example Koko does not get car sick and I go on short vacations with him.

Most Reactions