Vasovagal Syncope?

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
🌟 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽〘F Lutino Budgie〙🌟
✈️ 𝙅𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙧〘M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakariki〙✈️
Does anyone have any experience with this? My boyfriend's having a pretty serious issue here after he broke his leg (yes, on the death-trap One Wheel, of course) and he's been fainting. First time this happened was when I was out of the room for a few seconds to get something he asked for and this resulted in him gashing his forehead and blood all over the bathroom floor. I had to staunch the bleeding and call 911. He fainted in the chair last night after he bumped his injured leg. I laid across his chest to make sure he didn't fall over or anything else. Since that happened, the leg has been hurting worse. He has an appointment with an orthopedic doctor on Monday (it's Friday) and I want to make sure we can be okay before then and when getting to the appointment. I read online to clench the fists/other muscles to induce oxygenated blood. Unfortunately, we can't do anything with the legs right now. I suppose anything like sitting up too fast would also be a no-go. If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. I know this isn't a health forum, but I know we come from all walks of life. Thanks, all.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Does your local hospital have a nurse line you could call?

Has he been given instructions after his bathroom fall?

I am not a doctor or nurse - but being as this coincides with a major injury, this would worry me, especially if you've been sent home without instructions how to prevent this again.

If there's not a risk of blood clot from inactivity- activity level should have been covered at one of his discharge times - I'd personally lean toward preventing further injury and doing couch rest and very very slow movement only with someone else present including keeping the bathroom door open when he uses it - until his ortho appointment. Double check any medication he's on for fainting side effects or blood pressure side effects. Make sure he's hydrated and eating.

And try to call any nurse line you can find.

Sorry you both are dealing with this, it sounds like no fun!

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’ve had a problem with this. When it was worse, when I was very thin, I was told to make sure I was getting enough liquids and ENOUGH SALT. And, of course, to rise from lying or sitting down slowly and carefully.

If you cannot find a nurse advice line supported by your boyfriend’s insurance or school or clinic, the operators on the 211 line should be able to find a nurse to speak with. Or call the hospital you took him to earlier.

If you have further trouble this weekend I would take him to the ER. Fainting and falling is dangerous! I am sorry this is happening—it sounds scary.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am no Dr. But I would monitor blood pressure, pulse rate, and blood oxygen levels closely.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This would warrent an ER visit in my mind.

Its possible his heart was bruised. Post accident you can have heart issues. I don't remember the name of the condition but can cause fibulatiin or v tach or something like that. I've seen it in hit by car dogs a few days after the accident. I would want an ekg.
Because this can cause fainting....as well as cardiac arrest.

Plus as mentioned big risks of blood clots.

Or even a hematoma on brain has developed.

Edit: spleen or liver bleed

Because of the risk of so many serious things.. I can only suggest an emergency room visit w/possible re hospitalization.

I would not wait till Monday.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The great problem with not listing a general location as part of your provided information has risen here. Your use of 911 implies that you are in North America.
The guess is that he had been into an Emergency Clinic or Hospital and that the leg has been stabilized and that resulted in an appointment with a Orthopedic Doctor this coming Monday. That is remarkably quick and signifies that there is a broken bone(s), but it had not pushed out of the skin. Prior to your leave the Care Center your would have received and he had to sign a release document that provides specific contact numbers and what conditions should need for you to call or return to the Care Center. Most people fail to read that important document. Most Orthopedic Groups have a 24 hour per day number to call! Call that number as what you are describing requires such a contact.
As a Non-Medial Professional, but from an old guy that has been around awhile it sounds like Low Blood Pressure with a need to better hydrate.
Call the contact number for the Orthopedic Group, NOW!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Just to share. My moms friends husband fell off a ladder. Broke husband back, was hospitalized a few days sent home ( back stable)
Then he was acting a little strange. As per wife. Was falling asleep ( probably passing out. Acting a little confused ( thought was pain meds),Follow up appointment showed he had developed internal bleeding! Back to hospital and surgery. This was just last month.

OP
aussie_wings

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
Yeah, I was really perturbed that the nurse didn't provide much info about the fainting. I was asking questions, but not getting many answers. I was also sleep-deprived and still somewhat in shock, as was he, so we probably weren't thinking entirely clearly. I think we should try to collect some questions on a notepad and call the nurses line together, though. He's never been to the doctor for this, apparently, but it's happened to him maybe 2 or 3 times in his life prior to this, so he didn't think it was a big deal. Once he fell back on a tile floor, and if I saw that, that would have done it for me. He would have been at a hospital ASAP...

I'm always try to "force" feed/hyrdrate him... I'm always encouraging him to eat and drink, especially now. Making sure he has water next to him all the time. I've been giving him iron, calcium, and multivitamins.

He does seem to have slightly low blood pressure, so I'm sure this is correlated.

I want him to get his Galaxy watch set up to do ECG and monitor his heart activity. Fortunately, the last time he fainted was while I was holding him securely in the chair the other night after the chair brought down too fast and he bumped the heel of his broken leg on the floor. We've been making sure he moves slowly and carefully and have since avoided that chair. He has a wheelchair now, so that's made it a lot easier to keep him comfortable and safe.

In regards to the internal bleeding, he's been acting fine. His friend is over right now, and he's acting 100% himself and normal. He did refuse a CT scan to check for brain bleeding, but he isn't showing any symptoms. I tried to encourage him to do it, but according to him and my observations, he seemed fine in that regard. His pupils are the same size, and he's acting perfectly normal. Luckily, he's in a lot less pain today.

I appreciate your concern immensely.

Last edited:
OP
aussie_wings

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
This would warrent an ER visit in my mind.

Its possible his heart was bruised. Post accident you can have heart issues. I don't remember the name of the condition but can cause fibulatiin or v tach or something like that. I've seen it in hit by car dogs a few days after the accident. I would want an ekg.
Because this can cause fainting....as well as cardiac arrest.

Plus as mentioned big risks of blood clots.

Or even a hematoma on brain has developed.

Edit: spleen or liver bleed

Because of the risk of so many serious things.. I can only suggest an emergency room visit w/possible re hospitalization.

I would not wait till Monday.
Googling cardiac contusion... We did get to the E.R. after he fainted the first time. They monitored his heart and everything was fine. I've asked him to tell me if anything feels odd. We've both been continuing to monitor his heart, which seems to be fine. He hasn't been exhibiting any symptoms of hematoma either, fortunately. He's feeling better than he has the past couple days, and seems much more normal now. We do have an appointment early on in the morning, fortunately.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm glas things are improving. Wishing a speedy recovery. And hopefully an all clear tomorrow from doctor

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When I was greying out they’d tell me to drink coke and eat popcorn with salt. I think it’s probably decent advice to get your blood pressure up a bit.

OP
aussie_wings

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
He's doing much better. He got his cast on, but he's saying it feels kind of tight around the broken part of his leg, near his ankle, but he goes back next Monday. He got x-rays when he went in and it looked like it had just begun healing on the inside of the fibula, and they're going to cut off the cast and x-ray him again. I'll have to redraw the skulls and flames, but I don't mind. He hasn't fainted since the time when he was in the chair, so I'm glad. He's been having trouble getting comfortable to sit or sleep, though, unfortunately, but he's getting better; I can tell. Thanks for all your support. I really do appreciate it. (I don't have many people to talk to IRL and this helps a lot.)💀💞🔥

Most Reactions

Latest posts