Vegetables

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Hello everyone! Thank you for reading this post. Since I am new to researching IRNS can anyone tell me what in your opinion are the top 10 vegetables for Ringneck parrots? What is the guiding principle while selecting vegetables in terms of the nutritional value they provide. I would be grateful for any advice in the matter. Thank you so much!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Bright colors usually indicate lots of good vitamins. And keep in mind that some veggies are high carb and more like a grain (corn, peas, beans) than others (green or hot pepper, spinach).

Fruits aren’t vegetables, but berries are very good for parrots. If they’re good for people, they’re often good for parrots. Avocado is an exception.

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Thank you @HeatherG for the information. I have heard that spinach creates calcium deficiencies. Is there any truth to that?

I was able to find a video from my region its from India and I am from neighboring Pakistan so everything that is available there is also available here. Kindly take a look and let me know if they are feeding the right veggies, because people here just go for what is available rather than what is backed up NY solid scientific facts. Here is the link:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thank you @HeatherG for the information. I have heard that spinach creates calcium deficiencies. Is there any truth to that?

I was able to find a video from my region its from India and I am from neighboring Pakistan so everything that is available there is also available here. Kindly take a look and let me know if they are feeding the right veggies, because people here just go for what is available rather than what is backed up NY solid scientific facts. Here is the link:

Hi, I replied to the second question in the DM you sent me, but for the first question, it's not entirely true. Spinach has oxalates which may impact how much calcium is being absorbed from the spinach(not other veg). Spinach can cause kidney stones if fed too much to birds, but the same is true for humans.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
AVOID ONIONS AND GARLIC! Other than that most are ok. There's a sticky post on here somewhere with like everything safe and bad.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
This isn't the one but a good post in here...

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Maybe it's gone I can't find it but this resource....

Most Reactions

Latest posts