Vegtable oil

May 17, 2020
I have realised the bird seed I have been feeding my budgies has vegetable oil. My question is this safe to feed them until I can locate a new seed mix

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
How far down the list of ingredients is vegetable oil? Wondering if a trace amount used in preparation? Can you share the brand and/or image of label?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
How far down the list of ingredients is vegetable oil? Wondering if a trace amount used in preparation? Can you share the brand and/or image of label?

Great Question Scott!

FYI: If this is Dry Seed, there is a 99 % likelihood that it is referencing the machine lubrication used on moving parts. From time to time a drip may fall into the mix as it travel though the machinery.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Generally the last ingredient in a long list is minimal. Listing ingredients in order of weight or volume is required in many nations for human food. I'm assuming pet manufacturers comply but uncertain! In this case, as food-safe oil is generally derived from seeds/nuts, should be OK. Do they specify the type or simply "vegetable oil." If unstated, most likely a less costly tropical oil product.

Most Reactions

Latest posts