Very scared cockatiel

Roseredd12

Jan 20, 2016
I have 2 male cockatiels that I rescued from a shelter at separate times. The one I'm having problems with is the more recent one and his name is Picasso. No clue how old he is but he IS an adult. He is completely terrified of being held or touched but he will get on my shoulder and preen me for hours. I think he wants to fit in but he isn't sure how because he is so scared. He gets along with my other bird most the time and my other bird was scare when I first got him but he is now tame, but still doesn't like to be pet. Does anyone have tips for a mean bird that hates hands and will actually lunge and try to attack my mom. He screams and bites and flaps around. He barely tolerates me interacting with my other bird near him. He doesn't lunge at me normally but if I try to touch him he freaks out.

Last edited:

Mango7218

Banned
Banned
Jan 20, 2016
Ireland,Dublin
Parrots
Cockatiels,Plum headed parakeet,African grey
Try target training or if he is scared of your hands use this method
I have a way to get Mango used to hands and not be afraid.You can try this with your birds if they are not yet tame.If your bird takes treats from you then you don't need to leave the room as a reward you can just use treats when your bird calms down.

Items needed:Clicker,A bird,Patience

Step 1: Show the bird that good things come when they hear the click this could be leaving the room.

Step 2:Find out how far you can go into your birds cage until it goes mad.

Step 3:put your hand near the cage and wait for the bird to calm down and click and leave the room.Do this for about 5-10 minutes each day until you get closer and closer to the bird that he is no longer scared of your hands

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If he's lunging, you may be asking too much too soon.

I wouldn't call him mean... I would say he's been misunderstood for a long time and doesn't know how to communicate in a nicer manner... so taking things slow and easy would be the way to go. Find out what his favorite treat is (millet is usually a huge hit with cockatiels!) and try to win him over with that.

saiaurade

Feb 7, 2016
i m new at this forum but i had cockatiel for 1 and half year cockatiels are very good parrots they can be tamed easily than other birds like irns they do not bite hard as my irn pair do my tiel did same thing with me he was preening me,i taught him many tricks but he hates the human hands he was accepting treats with my hand but he was scare of my hand i dont know why,but i think tiels don't like human hands if u must have to catch him in your hand then do otherwise get him out of the cage by target training i think it will help you

Most Reactions

Latest posts