Very sick Cockatiel

Tacio

Feb 21, 2022
Hi all, simply put I wanted to ask about options regarding a sticky situation with a recently acquired bird. It is a cockatiel whose previous owner had left in great neglect so much so that the bird picked and created a large sore on its back. As of right now I do not have the financial means to pay for the great amount of care that the bird would require, but I do not want to leave them in suffering. Iā€™m not sure what to do as I doubt anyone else would care to take on such a sick animal.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm sorry, I think the only way to help him/her is an avian vet, but you could try to join some FB groups that can share some treatments Note that this solution should only be used as a last resort. The sore you are explaining is most likely self-mutilation, a bored/depressed behaviour.

I'm not saying the following because I think you are irresponsible or don't want the bird, but you could alternatively take him/her to a bird rescue if you are unable to afford to take care of it.

Even if you are having a hard time providing for it, the bird is still better off with you than the previous owners.

I hope your little guy gets better soon! If you need any help regarding care you can always ask me or make a post for other bird owners to help.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What is the location of the sore?

Could it be a blocked or infected preen gland? I've seen tgst in birds that have low vitamin A from a bad diet.

Wound care, I'm a big believer in betadine. Dilute betadine to a light icetea color in warm water. Use to flush the wound. And as warm compress. Soak a wash cloth in it and hold on wound for several minutes. Try to do this 4-6 times a day

Betadine does stain.

Also get the bird eating veggies if possible. Warm cooked sweet potatoes , or cooked shredded carrots. Fresh carrots are fine as well , yellow, orange, red, bell pepper ( lots of vitamin A) romaine lettuce also has vitamin A. Eating well will help with healing..

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, thank you for acquiring a neglected, unwell bird. Many vets extend favorable circumstances for initial consultation. If diagnosed as topical infection, fairly inexpensive meds and your labor may be sufficient for full recovery. Please attempt to visit an avian certified practice for best assurance of accurate diagnosis and care regimen. Though none of us are vets, you are welcome to upload images for opinions based on vast member experiences!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Laura has given great suggestions that you can do at home, prior to a vet visit, which is the preferred next step, of course.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Are you able to put a pipe insulation collar on the bird without the collar touching the sore? You can get pipe insulation at a hardware store and cut off a piece 1 1/4ā€ long for the birds collar. I sealed them with duct tape when I adopted a bird with similar problem.

The first thing I would do is bathe him and let him dry. Then collar him so he cannot tear himself open any more. Laurasea has good suggestions too.

Heather

Most Reactions

Latest posts