Vet visit for Pritti today, poor baby.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Pritti's avian-vet said he has
-consolitation in his lungs indicative of an infection (5 days for culture results)
-some kidney distress with some dehydration
-and a severe molt

So he has some meds and some homeopathic supplements to take orally now.

This is exactly why it is so important to not wait, and not second guess yourself when you know something just isn't right with your bird's health or condition.

A few days ago Pritti's gradual molt that started about a month ago all of a sudden increased from a couple of feathers a week to about 8 a day for two days and a bunch today. Yesterday I noticed a "bout" of very rapid breathing like I've never seen, and his poop started became very watery (puddles with watery green stuff in the puddles). Also he has been really fussy with food, and wants to constantly be touching me for two days, and definitely over sleepy yesterday. I called vet, it was late in day, and brought him in today.

New parrot moms and dads, remember this. These birds are usually sick before you can see any symptoms or signs. So when you see signs, err on the side of caution and call/visit an a-vet. Monitor closely.
:green1:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I hope my favorite 30 year old conure feels better very soon! Sending good vibes to you and Pritti. Keep us posted.

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Thanks everybody. My plans are for Pritti to be in the Book of Records in the very distant future as the oldest known Cherry-Head conure. So he's gonna do great !! (It's me I'm worried about -- administering 4 meds, twice a day -- lol.)

In fact, his A-vet said at the end of the visit --'by the way, he is amazing'. So even with his current issues, he's overall great. Yay.

truste

Sep 21, 2012
NYC
Parrots
Pineapple GCC--still unnamed!
Oh, I'm so sorry! Pritti sounds like a real trooper. Best wishes to you and him!

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
Keep it going little buddy! You can get over this illness and go back to being a very healthy "senior". I've noticed with most older animals that age is just a number and they have no clue they're not young anymore.

Boomer

May 1, 2012
Montebello, CA
Parrots
Capa (Budgie), Quark (Budgie)
I hope Pritti is well soon. Johann, BoomBooms on the forum, is always talking about Pritti and how we have to do to Boomer whatever you've been doing with Pritti so he can live to a ripe old conure age too.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I hope Pritti is well soon. Johann, BoomBooms on the forum, is always talking about Pritti and how we have to do to Boomer whatever you've been doing with Pritti so he can live to a ripe old conure age too.

LOL, this is true! (I'm Johann)

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots

Soccer practice last weekend.

wannabeaparrot-albums-pritti-being-pretty-random-photos-picture5516-soccer-practice.jpg

:green:

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots

Hey... Boomer and BoomBoom -- The A-vet said today it's good care and a lot of love. So just keep doing what you are doing !

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
Parrots

UPDATE-- Vet visit for Pritti today, poor baby.

Lung culture report yesterday -- pseudomonas infection. Pritti will have this for the rest of his life. A-vet says that he should be medicated for it twice a year with antibiotics to keep it in check and not become an active illness. Pseudomonas in birds is very difficult to eradicate. He has had it in the past and beed on the antibiotics for it twice. So he is probably building a resistance to the baytril.

Been on 4 meds twice a day, and a fifth is in the mail to us. I've been hiding them in foods ans so far so good (with a little coaxing and begging, lol).

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Hey WBAP (had to shorten your username!), thank you for the update on Pritti. It sounds like his condition is more stable. Good that he is taking his meds. I hope that he continues to improve. My thoughts are with you and Pritti!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
With the experience I've had with milk thistle, I'd definitely recommend it!

Sounds like Pritti will be fine, if not for a few minor inconveniences! He's a good boy!

Most Reactions

Latest posts