Vet visit...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
It's time again for the fid's to see Doc Kristin. I called the pharmacy to refill Amy's med and there wasn't any refill left. They told me the perscription had been canceled because he hasn't seen the Doc. I was planning to call anyway today to make an appointment for a wellness and grooming for both kids.
I told the receptionist Amy had only a couple doses left and she said she could authorize one refill but the pharmacy I get the med from is currently out so a new place is suppose to call me today sometime.
Now she said Amy needs a physical,not a wellness check,with bloodwork,which means sedating him :15: (cha-ching)
The last time he was sedated it took forever for him to come to. His legs went out from under him,his arms were out to the side and he couldn't lift his head. I was able to scoop him up in my hands (which he'd NEVER allow!) and lay him on my chest.
On top of all this,I can't be with them! No comforting them or reassuring them that dad is with them and all will be ok. Got to wait in the car..sighhhh. and the appointment isn't until the 12th :eek:

Jim

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
They sedate him for a blood draw? No thanks. Mine have never had it done that way. If you don't mind me asking, what med is he on? Just curious- pharmacy is our biz.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi Jim. Yeah thats seems odd to me too. Salty gets a blood draw with him awake, from the vein in the neck and he is never sedated. Hope our homeboy Amy gets the good word that the meds are doing their job.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

They sedate him for a blood draw? No thanks. Mine have never had it done that way. If you don't mind me asking, what med is he on? Just curious- pharmacy is our biz.

Jon the med is Isoxsuprine 0.11 ml. I'm going to call the vet and question the sedation..I could understand when he had x-ray of his heart and having the growth drained from one of his noses.

I just called the vet unfortunately Doc Kristin won't be in until Monday. I talked to a Tech and she said the sedative (medoxaline?) is used to "calm him down" I know Amy doesn't like to be toweled a fights,so with the physical and blood draw he gets panicky and they juice him up to relax him and to make it easier for them to handle him and not stress him anymore then needed. They said the doc will review my concerns and let me know whats up next week..thinking about it now,it might be a good idea,since he does have heart issues,

Jim

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
noodles has never been sedated...ever... not for xrays, nail trims, beak trims, blood-work, or flushes.
If he's super scared, it could cause further heart issues though.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I remembered this discussion during that last visit.

May want to remind your Vet just how long Amy was deeply effected last time and that such an overdose is dangerous and not executable to you. With luck, your Vet listed the dosage in his medical records and can determine the proper dosage this time...

Like it or not, sedation of Parrots is becoming ever more popular these days and finding a vet that is comfortable not using this approach is become more difficult. Something about Parrot Bills and Tech skin loss and liability issues was the last long story I heard.

Julio's Vet does not use that approach, but with Julio, it takes three of them to hold him! He hasn't eaten anyone 'yet.'

Really unhappy with this drop them-off approach the Vet care!

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I *hate* the drop off and I think it’s completely ridiculous. I can get a haircut. Why can’t I go in with my bird.

Bumble’s vet does the light sedation. It’s part of “fear free” vet care. The theory is that Birdie gets a little drunk and won’t remember anything that happens so they don’t associate the vet with bad things. The other part of it is that Bum’s vet always admires her and plays with her and gives her loads of treats so I the office becomes a good place. I don’t love it. The first time, Bumble acted like a wild bird the rest of the day. The second time, they definitely gave her too much, had to give 2 doses of the reversal med, and she threw up. I was about over it but the doc makes very good notes and adjusts accordingly. This year the reversal worked as planned but she still acted like a wild bird for the rest of the day.

I hope all goes well with our Amy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I dunno about "fear free" for the owner..I wasn't allowed to accompany Noodles for her recent x-ray, but everything else was allowed (even though things are pretty locked down). They only let 1 person in at a time, touch free entry, touch free pay...masks required.
It's dangerous to sedate birds unless they have a condition that really requires it. A heart condition DEFINITELY merits consideration.
Noodles doesn't dislike my vet-- I think she kind of likes him because he towels her (and that's the most "action" she ever gets lol).

Last edited:
OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I remembered this discussion during that last visit.

May want to remind your Vet just how long Amy was deeply effected last time and that such an overdose is dangerous and not executable to you. With luck, your Vet listed the dosage in his medical records and can determine the proper dosage this time...

Like it or not, sedation of Parrots is becoming ever more popular these days and finding a vet that is comfortable not using this approach is become more difficult. Something about Parrot Bills and Tech skill loss and liability issues was the last long story I heard.

Julio's Vet does not use that approach, but with Julio, it takes three of them to hold him! He hasn't eaten anyone 'yet.'

Really unhappy with this drop them-off approach the Vet care!

Yes 'Boats I did mention to the vet at the last visit about Amy taking so long to snap out of it and she agreed about not as much happy juice the next time around..I'll wait and see what she says next week.

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It will be interesting to see what happens on the other side, when this monster virus is no longer altering our lives.

It appears that the 'average' vet visit is taking anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 the time now as prior to this change. The cost have remained the same while it looks like our Vet has added at least one additional staff person to transport the Parrot in and out.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I dunno about "fear free" for the owner..I wasn't allowed to accompany Noodles for her recent x-ray, but everything else was allowed (even though things are pretty locked down). They only let 1 person in at a time, touch free entry, touch free pay...masks required.
It's dangerous to sedate birds unless they have a condition that really requires it. A heart condition DEFINITELY merits consideration.
Noodles doesn't dislike my vet-- I think she kind of likes him because he towels her (and that's the most "action" she ever gets lol).

After the time she vomited and then acted like she didn’t know me the rest of the day, I told my vet it wasn’t fear free for anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Well this morning the kid's go see Dr.Kristin. Amy for a physical and bloodwork and a nail trim and Beebs for a wellness check his nails and to have his sleeves shortened...time to pull the reigns in on him for a bit,he is flying off to places he shouldn't. I'm just worried and sad coz I can't be with them. BB is young and strong but the green dino needs me to hold him and tell him everything will be fine. Sighhhh.

Jim

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

We just got back. Everything went very well for both fid's. Doc Kristin said BB is a fine specimen of a young cockatiel :04: 86g's with great muscle tone. Even with a clipping the little scamp can still fly..not as high or far but he made it from Amy's play pen to my shoulder..about three feet.

Doc K said Amy did great..still gave her a hard time being toweled but the sedation kept him calm. She said Amy came out of the sedation in less than a minute,was standing up and mumbling in Amazon speak..even was chatty on the way home. His weight was 540g's,up from last visit but the doc said still a good weight for a Blue Front. Just waiting on the bloodwork results now.

Happy it's all over now I can breathe!

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad to know both kids had great visits, hopefully blood equally optimistic!!

Especially happy to know Amy quickly recovered from anesthesia!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good news all round,Jim! Salty's about due for a trim and he has something weird going on on one toe. I do hate the drop off and pick up routine, but what cha gonna do? Glad to know the doc got Amy's dosage right this time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts