Violet form of Alexander - few questions

MapleMatt

Mar 9, 2018
Hi, I would like to ask about their nature indian ringnecks, would like to know, what I can expact from the parrot, if it needs toys if hes social and other info. I have a good offer on violet form and need help please, I must decide fast and hsvent found any book available here focused on ringnecks. Thanks!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
What you YOU want out of becoming a parrot parent? ( A parront). If you are looking for a bird that likes cuddles and scratches , a ring neck is likely not a good match; most, but not all, do not like being scratched and ruffled like other species do, and not really into cuddling. Ringnecks also have the reputation for needing pretty much daily interaction with humans, or they go back to a wild state fairly quickly. They can talk, some very well. They can be loud (like any parrot) and their native call can be ear-piercing and repetitive. And like most larger parrots they live for a long time, 40+ years at least. We have a huge ringneck membership here, I am sure they will chime in with their observations.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If you can learn from first-hand experience, that is far superior to books. Books are not ideal for a variety of reasons... If you rely on books primarily, you will be missing a lot of important stuff. Make sure you read about the good, the bad and the ugly--- make sure you seek out owners who have these parrots who are not trying to sell you something and whose birds have reached sexual maturity-- this is important for getting any parrot. If there is a rescue near you, try to spend a lot of time there to get an idea--- remembering that a bird in a rescue may actually be quieter than a bird in a home (due to all of the constant activity and noise already in a rescue). You can't judge temperament based on a baby..and each bird will have its own personality, however, there are certain tendencies that are stereotypes for a reason across certain species.

Parrots should not be cuddled. Even if they like it--- if you are dealing with a bird that is weaned and eating on its own, head and neck petting only (except touching needed for medical reasons). SO, don't get a parrot if cuddles matter, because while some will become obsessed with "cuddles" it is sexual and can lead to self-destruction, screaming, aggression and confused relationships etc.

Last edited:

Most Reactions