Vitamin D and the health of budgies

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Hello. Now I have 9 budgies in common. I have chlamydia problem in my flock in the past, but not everytime it it absolutely cured. My blue budgie female Erwinka, who is about 1 year and 8 months old, has been suffering some problem for a longer time. she had chlamydia, she was cured by Summamed, Enrofloxacine and also doxycycline. She had confirmed hepatitis from her results. Most of the day she is in more apathethic position, sometimes she goes eat or replies to other budgies. I had the similar problem with one my previous budgie female who died on cholangicarcinoma of the liver. The problem with liver is significant. If she still has hepatitis, I do not know. Her mother also had chlamydia when buying her, and her father died on lymphoma of the liver and spleen.
She had 3 babies this year. I took the bird boxes away not to exhaust her.
During last time I started to record in my mind that this could be connected with vitamine D deficiency. There is a corellation between fatty liver and deficiency of the vitamine D.

I live with my 9 budgies in a panel house on 4., floor.
I am adding some vitamine A + D into the water ( 1 drop into 200 ml of water ). but as we not, the vitamine D is better dissolved in oil. I can not imagine adding one drop of oil into the bowl with seeds... It can not cover all the seeds.
I could ask one my friend to make some fencing barrier on the balcony for my budgies, where they could step from their room through the window and would have some sunlight. But maybe i would need some permission of my neighbours, but I am not going to ask them.
- I can not catch my budgies every day and put them into cage on balcony. That would be very stressful. The arcadia UV lamp is good when the budgies are in smaller cage and it is over them.
It looks like some budgies are doing better without being exposed to sun, some are doing worse.
I have no confirmation that this is a problem connected with vitamine D deficiency.
And I do not know whether that vitamin A + D dissolved in the water is enough effective. I also use some korvimine multivitamine 2 a week on soaked seeds ( grass seeds or normal seeds ).
does any body here have any experience with budgies with liver problems which are connected into vitamine D?
3 my budgied died on liver problems. I heard they can take my emotions on themselves and get sick. The emotions tend to be concentrated in the liver. sometimes I am explosive or angry, yes. But if also budgies can show on themselved my psychical state, I am not sure. Thanks for your reading me.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You really need to treat the whole flock to completion for chlamydia (very very serious) -- even if some seem fine (asymptomatic carriers are very dangerous and real).

I would not add vitamins to the water...period...1) it can cause bacterial growth. 2) it can make them drink less than they need due to flavor...3) you can overdose them and harm their organs permanently..

If you have vitamin panels run by a vet and find out that they are truly deficient, then I would add it to moist food (not water) and change it every few hours (as bacteria is a real risk). The problem is, with 9, you have no idea how much each is getting, so you could OD them easily if one is eating a lot compared to the others.

Liver issues can come from supplements (such as vitamins) high sugar/high fat, high salt/high preservatives, medications, toxins in the air or in their food,all- seed diets etc-- do not cut them off seed if that is what they know...They have been known to be stubborn enough to starve.

Last edited:
OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
thank you, friend. Maybe I did not understand each poing, does not matter. all the budgies ( maybe except one older female in the large cage ) were treated. The young ones now not... but he others yes. I was giving 3 different drugs. The problem is that doycycline and enrofloxacine do not go directly into hepatocytes and do not cure chlamydia there. Later this female was found negative. Now she does not have yellow urine, but still polyuria. She was having babies and the hormonal changes can contribute to polyuria. Also her partner who is healthy has been having more urine for a longer time.
As I mentioned, I add just one drop from vitamine A + D into 200 ml of water. So the risk of kidneys damage is not there, hopefully. I was also adding some hepacur natural remedy into the water to support the liver. and I was doing it maybe for a few months. I do not think this would harm the liver.

Yes, 9 budgies. 2 ladies are in quarantine cage due to her ortopedic or neurological problems, and the others are eating outside the cage. I use mainly grass seeds from Germany, also millet sprays, unfreezed corn, carrots, mellica uniflora plants and its seeds from meadows, also when I get chickweed, I offer it.

So my point is if to make some fending on balcony, so they can go there from their room to sunlight, or if to use USB bulb, but this is difficult to realise that.
I do not add other vitamins. Now only one drop into 200 ml of water from vitamine A+ D, one drop of iodine solution and for those 2 budgies in cage also some aloe vera gel active freedom for joints.
I was recommended to sprinkle korvimine powder 2 times a week on wet seeds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts