Waffled Chew Sticks

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Waffled Chew Sticks

Attachments

• 0FBF83F4-2B8E-4740-B028-35EF4FB21789.jpg
    0FBF83F4-2B8E-4740-B028-35EF4FB21789.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 174
OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I ground up about a cup of Lefebers pellets in Bullet blender. I added about 1/2 tsp baking powder. Then mixed together 1 egg & a little olive oil & water. I added those to the powdered Lefebers, then kept adding more water until it was the right thickness for waffle mix.

Then, I added stuff. I added some safflowers seeds, some sunflower seeds, some un-ground pellets, bits of millet and loose millet, and a few sesame seeds.

Then I put all this in the waffle maker. As the waffles were done I cut them into slices. After that, I put them all into low-temp (about 250-F) oven for a while. Ive turned it off now but I will let them sit out for at least a day or two to keep hardening. When they're all the way hard I will freeze or refrigerate.

The last chew sticks I made were Only from ground pellets. The budgies - Calliope especially - refuse pellets in their dish, but love to chew things, and happily decimated the previous pellets sticks.

THese sticks are waffle-textured so should appeal to Sunny too, AND they have surprises in them. Hehe! I am quite proud of my effort and wanted to show it off. :D

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
MMmmmm. Heck with the bird, I'm gonna make ME some!
Great idea, thanks, we will try that - with near everything in short supply, especially lunch time snackies, Salty will just have to adjust his preferences. These look like they are just the ticket.

Most Reactions