Wake up call about Valentino's beak

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Tonight while cuddling during Valentino's "Mommy Time" he had clamped down on my left index finger smashing my silver ring almost shut. It was only the bone inside of my finger that stopped him from completely squeezing the ring shut.

Valentino didn't chomp down on the ring but had slowly applied pressure as he held onto my ring. I didn't even notice until I suddenly began to realize I could not feel my finger and the ring was so smashed only the bone in the finger kept it from being squeezed shut.

Lupe had to take a plies to squeeze back open the ring so I could get it off my finger. My favorite ring is now ruined. I have worn this ring for many years because of what the message inside said. It was a simple silver band but now it is ruined beyond repair. I can't be angry at Valentino as he didn't ruin my ring on purpose. My finger is fine with no broken bones or bruising from it but this goes to show me how powerful a baby RFM beak can actually be. I have been spending quite a bit of training teaching him pressure with his beak on my person is not tolerated and he is learning but because I didn't feel him working the ring he slowly kept applying more pressure as he "played" with my finger.

Without a ring Valentino has applied pressure on my fingers and with the simple command "gentle" he will let up the pressure and let go. I have seen RFM's play with each other and they can get rough so I am trying to teach him that I am not a RFM and can't tolerate their rough play. If he wants rough play he has to go to his Java tree and beat up his toys and chew on his wood toys.

I am astounded how far that ring was squeezed shut. So far my finger does not feel sore but it might tomorrow. I respect the power of Valentino's beak but also realize he is a baby and will need training of what I am willing to tolerate from him.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
In one way, or another, we all learn of the power behind that can opener on their faces.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Just imagine me being in shock when Willie reached 10 years old and gone full hormone on me and bit me pretty deep and rip my skin open like a banana peel. As we were only going through our normal routine as I failed to realize what he was doing as I was watching tv at the same time while trying to pick him up. But I taught him from day one that he is NOT allowed on my shoulders or anywhere near my face. He always wants to go up there. But I know better then that as I've been bitten pretty bad by a Cockatoo once many years ago. Plus I watch him crack open walnut with a single chomp so that reminded me how strong their beaks are.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
yikes!

i am sorry your favourite ring was ruined :( but i am glad to know your finger is so far holding up!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Boy, once they get a hold of something they really want LOOK OUT :) [ my Hawkhead is bad with watches]

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It wouldn't hurt to take you ring to a jeweler if it's really a favorite of yours. They may just be able to reshape it and smooth out some of the damage (so it's at least wearable again). I had to have my favorite ring cut off by the hospital once because I swelled up so badly from a bad reaction to prednisone, and they really managed to mangled it up. The jeweler was able to repair it so well you cannot really tell it was ever damaged. It's at least worth a shot...

OP
noblemacaw

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Today my finger is not sore. I thought it might be but it has suffered no ill effects from the Valentino beak squishing my ring shut into my finger.

Unfortunately the ring is ruined beyond any kind of repair. With Valentino bending it then Lupe using a plies on it the ring is cracked and bent up so badly it will be going into the scrap pile for Sir John/Julio's fundraising.

Inside the ring it had the words "Imagine, Believe, Receive" which is why I wore the ring everyday. This is a strong affirmation I believe in so when I found the ring and read what was inside I had a strong desire to purchase it and I wore it everyday. I loved the ring because of what was written on the inside but the metal of the ring was rather thin. Maybe someday I can find another ring with the same words inside or find a simple silver band and have the words engraved inside.

Kiwibird - I am sorry to hear about your prednisone experience! How scary! I have to take large amounts of prednisone every 6 weeks or so when my asthma gets to bad I can't breath. Its a horrible drug but the only thing that works enough to get me breathing again.

Most Reactions

Latest posts