Walk / hike with you parrot

dera

Sep 13, 2022
Italy
Parrots
Wizard (quaker)
I'm wondering, do parrots enjoy walking / hiking with their humans? I know, it can change from one parrot to another, but IN GENERAL do they? I'm asking because I'm thinking about my first parrot and I'm guessing how my day schedule can change. I would like to train him/her to wear an harness and go for a walk, or maybe go for a hike and bring him/her with me, but I don't know if can be more stressful than a pleasure.

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
I think you are on the right track with saying all birds are different but I do believe most birds if given appropriate training do enjoy time outside.
My previous parrot was harness trained and very much enjoyed hiking and riding on my bicycle.
However having a parrot harnessed and hiking in the woods can put them in some of the same dangers as "free flight trained" parrots. Such as hawks and domestic dogs and cats that could be at a public park. Also you parrot will see many "things" that could cause them to spook and fly off. So I would advise taking the harness traing very serious and make sure your bird is comfortable wearing it. You don't want to compound the stress of a scary harness and a new scary environment.
You could also try a bird back pack which offers more safety but you bird is on your back so it's much harder to see if they are scared.
Last thing I would add is if you do not already have a bird you may want to consider a medium sized species. I think they are easier to accommodate in a carrier and if they do spook in harness and give you a bite it's not so bad.
I've had years of enjoyment hiking biking and travelling with my birds but the training to keep them calm and enjoying themselves is very very important

OP
dera

dera

Sep 13, 2022
Italy
Parrots
Wizard (quaker)
I'm looking for a cockatiel as first parrot, I hope to bring him/her at home before the end of the year. I suppose that harness training won't be the first thing we will both do, but maybe we will be ready for the next spring (I will ask some advice about the training in the other forum).
Wow, where did you parrot stay on the bicycle? I would like that also, I love to ride and it would be a dream! Please share your experience :love:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I only have one bird I am comfortable taking outside and that is Bingo.

He is fully feathered and never been clipped but does not or can’t fly. He can jump/flap maybe 5/6 feet if he is really……upset about something.

I have used an Aviator harness on him long time ago.
Putting it on was ez, taking it off was not.

If I am going to take him somewhere the Pack-O-bird carrier is my go to method. Based on his happy noises he likes it just as much as being in the open air.

I sometimes answer the door with Bingo on my shoulder.
He enjoys trying to talk while I’m trying to talk and seeing new faces.

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
The bike was always a favorite. I really wish I had some pictures of us. But it was a 1st gen bmx bike so the handle bars had a separate support bar that ran from grip to grip it was the perfect perch for a bird. Once my birdy buddy was comfortable with the harness getting him use to the bike was easy. I just brought the bike in the house and let him use it as a play stand.

I think a cockatiel is a great choice. Big enough to find a well built harness but small enough to carry in a tote. I think I had success with this because I put alot of time into bonding with my birds. Other than target training most of our time was spent just hanging out. Even before I had got the harness I would take my bird with me in a (well secured) small carrier. So they had seem alot of the world before I started harness training.

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
A bike with a basket on the front would be great too. I bet you could even find a carrier that would fit in a basket.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Pak-o-bird backpacks can be worn in the front (so you can see your bird) and not just on the back! Kirby has a leather aviator harness but he doesn’t care for it much & for the aforementioned risk-of-escape reasons, he only goes out in his pak-o. He enjoys short walks or trips to the grocery or cafe.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Pak-o-bird backpacks can be worn in the front (so you can see your bird) and not just on the back! Kirby has a leather aviator harness but he doesn’t care for it much & for the aforementioned risk-of-escape reasons, he only goes out in his pak-o. He enjoys short walks or trips to the grocery or cafe.
I tried wearing my Pak-O-bird on my front.
I found it to be very dangerous. I could not see my feet or what I was stepping on. Just one trip and I could fall forward and squash him(Bingo).
Other option is to use the long β€œsling” over one shoulder and carry on the side.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
It did take some getting used to, but I wore my youngest kid in a chest carrier until she outgrew it at around 8mos so I have a lot of practice!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I used to ride my bike around a small city with my Quaker in a front pack. She really liked going on errands. Later years I carried her in a basket or a scarf. She enjoyed it a lot and would yell β€œout! Out!” When we got home.

OP
dera

dera

Sep 13, 2022
Italy
Parrots
Wizard (quaker)
Thank you all for your advices and for sharing your experiences :love: I think the idea of carrying him/her in a backpack in the bike casket is great to get used to outside world

Oopsadaysey

Mar 11, 2022
East Gippsland Australia
Parrots
21yr old LutinoxPearl Quarrion (sorry cockatiel) Munchkin aka The Princess
When I lived in Townsville nth Qld it was common to see people with their harnessed birds walking on the Strand at the beachfront at night when it was cooler. Our Cockatiel used to wander our backyard with us every afternoon. We had shadesails up to knock the heat down and a swimming pool ( she fell in that more times than I can count, as well as the fish pond - just kept staring into them and leaning and then gravity. She didn't panic at all ) She also wandered thru the veg patch.
My husband forgot her several times and left her on the clothes line because she was just so quiet. She would climb down a piece of clothing and just go to sleep.
She has been around Australia with us both camping and staying in hotels, loves just driving in the car sitting on the passenger headrest.

Most Reactions

Latest posts