Want to buy a parrot.

Emil

Jan 25, 2018
Good afternoon,
I came to this forum, because I want to buy a parrot. Now I need some advise from you guys. I would like to have a parrot who follows me around and likes to sit in the shoulder. What do you guys think is a good parrot? He should be bigger than a cockatiel.
Emil Horstmann

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
I think you should spend a lot more time researching and learning about parrots, and AFTER doing so consider adopting or rescuing one.

Also, what is your age. experience, living situation, location, etc.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
What Mr. Mango said...

There are NO guarantees with a parrot. And even the best-behaved ones are not like cats or dogs. They're often a generation or two out of the wild... not very domesticated! Also very expensive to keep well, and very demanding!
Meanwhile, good for you for reaching out and wanting to learn.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I will echo what others have touched on, there is no guarantee that when you get a parrot it will do these things. Parrots have the potential to be excellent companions, but that doesn't mean they may follow you around or want to be on your shoulder all the time. The bigger the species, the more difficult they can be to train and care for. The right parrot for you will depend on several different things, including your age, your income, your commitment and your level of patience.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
To be fair perhaps you need to consider more what you could give a parrot. A dog can be trained to follow you around and possibly a cat, but a parrot tends to be it's own person and may take more than it gives.

Also they tend to choose their owners more successfully than the other way round. You will need patience, empathy, cash, time each day, and the ability to be let down at times and still love your bird even when blood pours. Syd moved in with me having chosen me as a house mate. He's little but still a big challenge and patience is my middle name but he is still more challenge than any dog etc I have ever had.

My first advice is don't rush into it. Take a good look around at all sorts of birds. If there is somewhere where you can volunteer so that your have hands on experience do that for a while so you can get the feel for them. You may find the perfect bird who thinks you are perfect too. Read, read, read and ask questions and make sure you have a contingency fund for initial set up and vet checks.

Having said that - they are brilliant and worth the trouble. You see I'm a convert! You have made the first good decision by arriving here. Good luck.

Most Reactions

Latest posts