Wanted to ask for help?!?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Nico (Ekkie) is adopted. I donā€™t know everything about his past. In fact I know minimal. When I adopted him I noticed he begged for human food. Heā€™s relentless, and worse than my dogs when it comes to begging for people food. For an example Iā€™ll end up bringing Nico back to his stand 3 times while Iā€™m trying to eat dinner because he will just climb down, and come back to where I am eating. I no longer eat in Nicoā€™s presence. So take in mind here that I am aware that Nicoā€™s diet isnā€™t perfect. Itā€™s been a project to get him to eat bird food.

I bought honey crystals that are all 100% natural. Iā€™ve been sprinkling this in, or on what Iā€™ve been offering Nico. Which he is eating so much better. I try feed him fruits, veggies, chop, pellets, some almonds/pine nuts, birdie bread, and such.

Does anyone think harm could be done by giving Nico the honey crystals? I attached a photo below of what the product looks like.

Attachments

• FE5CC2B4-D485-418B-8208-DE0D2965E57C.jpeg
    FE5CC2B4-D485-418B-8208-DE0D2965E57C.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 40

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
From what I've read, raw honey shouldn't be fed because it contains Clostridium botulinum spores.
However, I wonder if the crystals you got have been processed in a way that removes that risk?

You could contact the company and see what they say, but unless I knew for sure that it's safe I wouldn't recommend feeding it.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
From what I've read, raw honey shouldn't be fed because it contains Clostridium botulinum spores.
However, I wonder if the crystals you got have been processed in a way that removes that risk?

You could contact the company and see what they say, but unless I knew for sure that it's safe I wouldn't recommend feeding it.
Thank you for the response. I know it sounds bad but Nico really is like the crows, pigeons, and seagulls that people see in YouTube videos attacking people for food at restaurants. Itā€™s funny when you see the video without context. I live with this so it isnā€™t funny to me at all. Nico will bang his beak on the doors to the cabinet that my husbands chips are in. If you open a bag of chips in Nicoā€™s presence he will be on your person in a matter of minutes. If you put him back on his stand multiple times he gets mad, and comes back then nips your fingers when you ask him to step up. Itā€™s been a challenge. Nico really loves human food.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Have you tried making birdie bread or birdie cookies for him? That way you could eat the people food and give him a treat that may trick him into thinking that he's eating people food too:)

Most Reactions