Wanting to get a cockatiel (Cockatiel Questions)

UnknownParrotPoster

Jun 24, 2022
Parrots
Donā€™t have one but am aiming to get a cockatiel.
Hows It going? I know like this may sound like I am asking a lot, but could someone basically give a brief overview on everything a cockatiel needs? Like specific foods, what kind of care it needs per day (how much attention, how often to change the water), etc, and what could be dangerous for the bird and how to prevent it. Any extra advice would be great! Thanks and have a good day.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hows It going? I know like this may sound like I am asking a lot, but could someone basically give a brief overview on everything a cockatiel needs? Like specific foods, what kind of care it needs per day (how much attention, how often to change the water), etc, and what could be dangerous for the bird and how to prevent it. Any extra advice would be great! Thanks and have a good day.

Diet:

I reccomend 50% dry food and 50% fresh. Dry part of the diet consists of about half high-quality seed mix(Cockatiels require more seed than other species. Make sure the seed mix has at least 5 different seeds. The more types the better) and the other half is herbs, spices, pellets(optional), some grains etc. I feed dry mixes for my birdies. Search up dry mixes to get some ideas. For pellets I reccomend TOP's because they are cold pressed and they are organic and contain no unhealthy fillers. Some members here have good experiences with Harrisons. I never used it but the ingredients are ok. Pellets should only be 25% or less, despite what vets and manufacturers reccomend(some people say 70-80% is ideal but it's not. Pellets are way to processed to be so high in the diet.)

Fresh part of diet consists of veggies, fruit(10% or less of the whole diet to prevent hormonal behaviour), sprouts, herbs, etc. Eggs are good to feed once a week as they are a good source of protein.

Safe foods:

I will add more info in the next post.

OP
UnknownParrotPoster

UnknownParrotPoster

Jun 24, 2022
Parrots
Donā€™t have one but am aiming to get a cockatiel.
Diet:

I reccomend 50% dry food and 50% fresh. Dry part of the diet consists of about half high-quality seed mix(Cockatiels require more seed than other species. Make sure the seed mix has at least 5 different seeds. The more types the better) and the other half is herbs, spices, pellets(optional), some grains etc. I feed dry mixes for my birdies. Search up dry mixes to get some ideas. For pellets I reccomend TOP's because they are cold pressed and they are organic and contain no unhealthy fillers. Some members here have good experiences with Harrisons. I never used it but the ingredients are ok. Pellets should only be 25% or less, despite what vets and manufacturers reccomend(some people say 70-80% is ideal but it's not. Pellets are way to processed to be so high in the diet.)

Fresh part of diet consists of veggies, fruit(10% or less of the whole diet to prevent hormonal behaviour), sprouts, herbs, etc. Eggs are good to feed once a week as they are a good source of protein.

Safe foods:

I will add more info in the next post.
Thanks!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi, sorry for the late reply. These are sfuff that aren't good for birds.

Most Reactions