Wanting to get a new bird

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Hi i want to get a new bird but you guys would say that I am selfish to get a new bird when I cant give vet care but they will be in a better condition than they used to be I can give them two friends food treats toys the only thing i cant is vet care there are a lot of birds in such bad condition i would give them a better life then the life that they used to have I will give them a better environment why i had been thinking about this first i want new bird second tofu really wants a new friend so should i get a bird?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi i want to get a new bird but you guys would say that I am selfish to get a new bird when I cant give vet care but they will be in a better condition than they used to be I can give them two friends food treats toys the only thing i cant is vet care there are a lot of birds in such bad condition i would give them a better life then the life that they used to have I will give them a better environment why i had been thinking about this first i want new bird second tofu really wants a new friend so should i get a bird?
May, is this bird you want to adopt ill? If so, you are putting your flock at risk.

IF you get another bird, you need to isolate it for at least 1-2 months.

You mentioned your parents not trusting the vet is the biggest issue, rather than no vets available or expenses. You're from Malaysia, right? Here is a list created by the mod team here, it's in the post "avian vet resources":

Do you have enough money to afford food, toys, and cages for your current birds?

What type of bird do you want to get?

May, remember, buying birds from people who abuse their birds and irresponsibly breed them is indirectly supporting them. Unless you are adopting one from a person, I don't reccomend it.

I hope more experienced members see this soon. Good luck!

Anè

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Good advice from Pipp. Let me add, if you take in a sick bird, it will most likely need a vet. I recommend you find a responsible breeder with high-quality birds, instead of putting your other bird(s) at risk.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
100% agree with Pipp and Stormy.

May, you are not selfish. I am so glad you want to give another little birdy a better life. But like Pipp said, getting a sick bird puts your flock at risk, you need to quarantine ANY new bird for at least 30 days, and if you get a bird that’s very sick, you will need vet care.
What species do you want? Are you doing research (100 hours minimum before another bird)? Can you afford the cage, toys, perches, food, and other supplies? Do you have space? Do you have time? Are you ready for a commitment that will change your life forever (that’s a good thing, but also something that needs a LOT of thought)? These are all questions to consider and if you know you can’t care for another bird (I’m not referring to the vet thing) then that means you sadly can’t get one for the time being.
This doesn’t mean you can’t ever get another bird. I suggest holding off on it for a little while, but I am one voice among many. Just keep doing research. I wish you only the best, May, whether or not you get another bird, and good luck πŸ™‚

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I wonder if you want another bird because you’re lonely? I ask that because that’s why I had birds when I was a kid.

Could you do more school related or church related activities to meet more people and make friends? Birds are very nice but they don’t replace human friendsβ€”at least not completely.

My Lucy could talk a lot and loved music and she helped me to be less lonely for company but Willow doesn’t talk much. He’s very sweet but it’s not as much like a little person. So I am going to start going to the library, to farmers market outdoors, to coffee shops as my old friends have mostly moved away.

You are right that there ARE many people who don’t take good care of their birds. I used to live in a very rural place and people weren’t too nice to their animals. So maybe you would give a new bird a slightly better home, but you’d also be RESPONSIBLE FOR another bird.

That means time and attention and cleaning and care as well as a home.

Are you sure you would want MORE responsibilities?

With best wishes, Heather and Willow and Jasper, too

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
First thanks for replying
May, is this bird you want to adopt ill?
I still didn't look for a bird so i still didn't do an action for it i am still thinking about it
IF you get another bird, you need to isolate it for at least 1-2 months.
Yeah i have no problem with that and it won't be isolated a lot because I will talk read to it just always stay with the bird of course i will leave it and not get so close to the bird for the first 2 days
You mentioned your parents not trusting the vet is the biggest issue, rather than no vets available or expenses. You're from Malaysia, right? Here is a list created by the mod team here, it's in the post "avian vet resources":
i know i have seen it there is a really good avian vet near us that we used to go there before two of my birds passed away my family just says that they couldn't help kiwi and they say about hope that the medication was too strong for her ( they said the vet couldn't help both of the birds then why should we go there ) we used to there but after two of my birds passed away in January we never went again so my parents do not trust the vet is the biggest and only issue
Do you have enough money to afford food, toys, and cages for your current birds?

yaa i have a saving account and the money in there is pretty high so i can afford toys food and treats and i can afford another cage
What type of bird do you want to get?
well a budgie conure or a cockteil

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
First thanks for replying

I still didn't look for a bird so i still didn't do an action for it i am still thinking about it

Yeah i have no problem with that and it won't be isolated a lot because I will talk read to it just always stay with the bird of course i will leave it and not get so close to the bird for the first 2 days
You'll need to wash your hands after interacting with the bird before touching your flock, just as an extra safety measure.
i know i have seen it there is a really good avian vet near us that we used to go there before two of my birds passed away my family just says that they couldn't help kiwi and they say about hope that the medication was too strong for her ( they said the vet couldn't help both of the birds then why should we go there ) we used to there but after two of my birds passed away in January we never went again so my parents do not trust the vet is the biggest and only issue
So sorry that your birds passed away..

Is there any way you can convince them to allow you to take them to a vet?

IMO if the bird looks perfectly healthy a vet visit isn't 100% nessecary.
yaa i have a saving account and the money in there is pretty high so i can afford toys food and treats and i can afford another cage
I also have a savings account, I save my money so I can spend it on the birds or things that I want, mostly birds because I have all I need.
Well a budgie conure or a cockteil
Cockatiels make lovely companions, as they are usually attention lovers. This can be an issue if you can't interact with them a lot, or if you don't want a clingy bird.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
ANY new bird for at least 30 days, and if you get a bird that’s very sick, you will need vet care.
But at least i can give it the best last days of its life in a clean cage food treats vegetable toys or if luck goes on my side the bird recovers from me spending sleepless nights it would recover if luck goes on my side and i know i will quarantine it
Are you doing research (100 hours minimum before another bird)?
No, i still didn't start research because i am still thinking about if i should get a bird or not
What species do you want?
as i said budgie conure or a cockatiel
Can you afford the cage, toys, perches, food, and other supplies?
yes i can afford ir
Do you have space?
yes i have
lots of space
Do you have time?
Yes even though i have school i always spend a lot of time (i am homeschooling and my school starts 3pm afternoon untill 5:15 pm so i am always home.
Are you ready for a commitment that will change your life forever (that’s a good thing, but also something that needs a LOT of thought)?
yaaa i know i am still think a lot about it y
This doesn’t mean you can’t ever get another bird. I suggest holding off on it for a little while
yaa i know if i ever get another bird i wont get the bird this month maybe if i get a bird i will get it
in July
wish you only the best, May, whether or not you get another bird, and good luck πŸ™‚
ty

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Is there any way you can convince them to allow you to take them to a vet?
There is unfortunately no way i have tried thousands of times and i say i will pay and they are just NO

I also have a savings account, I save my money so I can spend it on the birds or things that I want, mostly birds because I have all I need.
Yaa me too after getting my birds i never and really never wanted to spend anything on myself just seeing those happy smiles in my bird's faces is everything right?
Cockatiels make lovely companions, as they are usually attention lovers. This can be an issue if you can't interact with them a lot, or if you don't want a clingy bird.
yaa i cant clingy bird like a cockteil my bird sky is a CLINGY bird she literlly one time when i was kissing her on the beak she started doing the motions where when the bird goes and amtae with his mate theshe does thismotion like see the pic(she starts lifting her face up in the same motion wehn birds go on each other(mating)
ibk-4364759.jpg

you se the bird under she did it 2 times did it today she did it on the morning when i was kissing her

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
N
I wonder if you want another bird because you’re lonely? I ask that because that’s why I had birds when I was a kid.
oh i am not lonely my bird sky never leaves me I want a bird for tofu and me because i think she really wants a new friend(NOT A MATE)
Could you do more school related or church related activities to meet more people and make friends?
oh actually i am not a Christian i am a Muslim
You are right that there ARE many people who don’t take good care of their birds. I used to live in a very rural place and people weren’t too nice to their animals. So maybe you would give a new bird a slightly better home, but you’d also be RESPONSIBLE FOR another bird.
Yup i know that's why i am not putting any action into it I am still thinking and i feel always so bad for the birds who are treated so badly it just breaks my heart, slightly better? i would give it a better home like they don't have toys vegetables and clean cage and free time it won't better it would be much better i would give them everything except vet care
That means time and attention and cleaning and care as well as a home.
ik i am thinking about it a lot
Are you sure you would want MORE responsibilities?
yaa because it feels good when you're doing something for someone who nobody cares about and then you love him and make him know he is loved and not hated and not cared for like giving them a second chance.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
There is unfortunately no way i have tried thousands of times and i say i will pay and they are just NO
I thought so... maybe try looking up some herbs/spices that can cure/prevent certain illnesses? I know, it doesn't replace vet care but it's better than nothing.
Yaa me too after getting my birds i never and really never wanted to spend anything on myself just seeing those happy smiles in my bird's faces is everything right?
I don't really have anything else to spend my money on πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ except plants which is my other passion
yaa i cant clingy bird like a cockteil my bird sky is a CLINGY bird she literlly one time when i was kissing her on the beak she started doing the motions where when the bird goes and mate with his mate theshe does thismotion like see the pic(she starts lifting her face up in the same motion wehn birds go on each other(mating)
View attachment 39831
you se the bird under she did it 2 times did it today she did it on the morning when i was kissing her
I've seen birds mating before(my own birds too😳) so I know what it looks like..

You need to try prevent mating behaviour as it leads to hormones which may lead to eggs eggs which can lead to chronic egg laying..

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
I thought so... maybe try looking up some herbs/spices that can cure/prevent certain illnesses? I know, it doesn't replace vet care but it's better than nothing.
well yaa I will do it and your right it better than nothing

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
I don't really have anything else to spend my money on πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ except plants which is my other passion
me too
I've seen birds mating before(my own birds too) so I know what it looks like..

You need to try prevent mating behaviour as it leads to hormones which may lead to eggs eggs which can lead to chronic egg laying..
yaa its very awkward i always try
i used to think does sky love me and now i am like yaa she loves as her mate😳 very awkward guess i have to stop kissing her and singing to her for a while

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots

I've seen birds mating before(my own birds too😳) so I know what it looks like..

if you were in my position you have two birds but cant do vet care but one of your birds wants a new friend and you want a new friend too would you get another bird?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
if you were in my position you have two birds but cant do vet care but one of your birds wants a new friend and you want a new friend too would you get another bird?
Honestly- I don't know. My parents sometimes let me take them to a vet but not always. I've never been in your position.

I don't want any more birds because I already fear that when I get my own home/apartment, I'll have a hard time finding a place that accepts birds and I may not be very time rich. Also, if a fatal illness spreads through the flock I may lose 6 birds at onceπŸ˜₯

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Honestly- I don't know. My parents sometimes let me take them to a vet but not always. I've never been in your position.
i said if you were
I don't want any more birds because I already fear that when I get my own home/apartment, I'll have a hard time finding a place that accepts birds and I may not be very time rich
well i do not fear that because i am still 11
if a fatal illness spreads through the flock I may lose 6 birds at onceπŸ˜₯
That's why i am still thinking about it

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
i said if you were
That's why I said "I don't know", because, well, I don't know, as in I have no clue.
well i do not fear that because i am still 11
That's good, but I am at an age where moving out is something that may happen in the not so near future, so that's why I said I'm concerned about my birds. Also, some budgies can live 10-15 years and I assume by 20 years old you'll likely already be planning to move out someday.
That's why i am still thinking about it
Yes that's fine, again I was talking about my concerns with my personal flock.

Last edited:
OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
That's good, but I am at an age where moving out is something that may happen in the not so near future, so that's why I said I'm concerned about my birds. Also, some budgies can live 10-15 years and I assume by 20 years old you'll likely already be planning to move out
Yaa your right but if i ever move out no matter what even if it will take me to the end of the earth for my birds to stay with me (hopefully they live a long life) i will do anything

Most Reactions

Latest posts