Wants to get out of cage

Clarin

Dec 15, 2020
My 8 month old sun conure named Habibi always wants to come out of its cage but that's only Wen it knows I'm in the house or Wen I come in front of it.. this is what I noticed .pls help me and tell me way to keep it silent when it's in the cage coz Wen it's jumping around in the cage it's feather are getting damaged .
Plz help

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
How big is the cage?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
How big is the cage?
Yep, cages are often marketed way to small for parrots. A width of 19 inches. A length of 30 inches and a hight if 30 inches, at minimum in my humble opinion.

Parrots are not solitary creatures, so social. So they want to be with you. A baby would be around the nest but a mature bird is ready to ve with its flock. So what you get away with as a baby doesn't work for adults.

Try and find ways to have your parrot out abd part of your life more.

Where dogs and cats by nature can sleep 20 hours a day. A parrot by nature would be active and foraging all day long.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
from a great article by Pamela Clark an svsin behavior expert.

" New Perceptions

In the past few years, I have come to see our parrot-keeping practices in a new light. We have taken flighted spirits, clipped their wings, and put them in cages. Many parrots spend all of their time in their cage, or have at most, one or two hours out each day. We have taken away their liberty, which is essential for exercising choice.

If we kept dogs in a similar manner, rendering them unable to move in a way natural to them and keeping them in kennels for 22 hours every day, it would be considered abuse. However, these practices are still commonplace in the parrot world, rarely being brought into question. We appear unable to judge the inappropriateness of these practices since they have been accepted as normal for so long."

Her article on how to promote choice and natural behaviors

https://blogpamelaclarkonline.com/tag/parrots-and-flight/

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Habibi. Are you able to upload images of Habibi with cage so we can give better advice? In any case, best to let a parrot out of its cage only when closely supervised!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
This sounds like normal parrot behavior if your bird is not getting out enough, has too small of a cage, or has found that it gets attention for this behavior (it could be a combination of these factors) . You need to make sure your cage is large and that your bird is getting a few hours out of it each day. You also do not want to give your bird attention (eye contact, proximity, let-outs) when undesirable behavior is occurring.

Birds can also scream when sick or scared, so make sure you aren't placing "scary" toys into the cage without habituating your bird to them first. Toys can scare them if they aren't used to them (depends on the bird).

Also, making sure your bird is getting enough sleep nightly and avoiding allowing them access to shadowy spaces (like huts, boxes etc) can level off behaviors sometimes if there are hormones involved. Your bird is maturing and a baby is always quieter than an adult, but a hormonal adult will often be more inclined to vocalize for longer periods of time. They mature sexually between 1-3 and so you need to make sure they have at least 10-12 hours of sleep each night and reduce access to shadowy areas, as well as avoiding touching them on their backs etc (head and neck only).

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts