Water bottle or bowl?

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
I was wondering if any of you use water bottle. Currently I have a water bowl for my Ekkie. He loves to dip his pellets in there like others :). When I have to work from my main office I change his bowl twice a day. If I'm working from my home office I change it a few times. The breeder from whom I'm getting my B&G suggested I switch to water bottles. Any thoughts?

jacksmom

Banned
Banned
Apr 26, 2012
Sure, water bottles work great...it isn't a substitute for changing the water (don't recommend just filling and letting it go until it is empty) but can keep you from having to do it twice a day, and knock it back to once per day or even every other.

Just have to train them to drink out of it...he may not figure it out on his own, and even a couple days without water would be bad! Just press your finger to it, get it wet...then touch his beak with your wet finger. Parrots are pretty smart, they usually pick this up fast. ;) Oh I see, water! :)

BUT, you do realize that pellet-dippin' joy you would be robbing from him, right? ;) Lol, either way, man...a water bottle is better than a food laden water bowl growing bacteria, fun aside! (Though I am a twice a day bowl changer myself, just can't rob them of that veggie dunkin', pellet softenin' fun!) :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Merlin has both!

His travel cage especially has a water bottle so his water isn't getting thrown all over the show, leaving him empty during travel. He took to it so well we decided to put one in his cage also, just incase he soils his water when we're out for a while, he's still got clean 'fresh' water from his bottle.

I recommend bottle and bowls to everyone. :)

OP
D

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
That's my main concern! He obviously enjoys dipping his pellets in there. I just want to be sure that changing the bowl only twice a day is sufficient as for him not to get sick! We have the house at 77 with AC so the bowl isn't getting all warm and all. I think I'll stick with the bowl for now:)

OP
D

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
Bottle and bowl sounds like a good plan...food for thought;). Thanks for your input!

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I put the bottle over the bowl. Sully would die if he couldn't make soup. Rose would die if she couldn't bathe in a water dish. They all love to use the bottle too. So, we have both.

Most Reactions

Latest posts