TomoTheTriton

Jun 16, 2022
Parrots
Triton Cockatoo
Green Wing Macaw
Hi everyone!

I just recently joined and I need help to figure out how to hack water bowl or different water solutions for my Triton and Macaw. I have them both on an open layout. This is where they sleep and eat breakfast then I move them outside to our larger aviary.

We drilled stainless steel bowl at the bottom and attached it to their purch. Then we give fresh water in separate bowl which we place on top of the drilled one.

Tomo, Cockatoo, loves to spill the bowl now randomly. I tried binder clips…lol didn’t work.

Attachments

• IMG_4078.MOV
    5.4 MB
  • 56F15529-7CFC-4E66-B8C7-11548E5EF571.jpeg
    56F15529-7CFC-4E66-B8C7-11548E5EF571.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 58DF56CF-EEA9-472B-9E72-8AD4B732A399.jpeg
    58DF56CF-EEA9-472B-9E72-8AD4B732A399.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 77

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi everyone!

I just recently joined and I need help to figure out how to hack water bowl or different water solutions for my Triton and Macaw. I have them both on an open layout. This is where they sleep and eat breakfast then I move them outside to our larger aviary.

We drilled stainless steel bowl at the bottom and attached it to their purch. Then we give fresh water in separate bowl which we place on top of the drilled one.

Tomo, Cockatoo, loves to spill the bowl now randomly. I tried binder clips…lol didn’t work.
Such a cutie!

Have you tried ceramic/glass bowls? They're usually quite heavy, though a cockatoo is heavier.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
There are water/food bowls that fit into a ring - the bowls have bumps on them that fit only one way into the ring, which has 2 small cut outs for the bumps. You insert the bowls and give them a twist, which locks them into the ring. Made for installing on cage bars, the rings could easily be installed on these pieces of wood with a couple of large wood screws. A super smart parrot, like a blue throat macaw might be able to figure out how to remove the bowls, but honestly even I have a hard time removing them - the bumps need to be exactly lined up to remove the bowls.

OP
TomoTheTriton

TomoTheTriton

Jun 16, 2022
Parrots
Triton Cockatoo
Green Wing Macaw
Ah, yes! I have seen these type bowls but at the time couldn’t comprehend how to go about attaching them with the 4x4’s we used. I’ll look further into this. Thank you!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Most of those have a plate w/ 2 holes where bolts go thru and fastener to a back place on the outside of the cage. Just replace the bolts with 2 hefty wood screws.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’ve had good luck with the bowls that fit into rings and lock in place. I usually use water bottles, but you have to check daily that the water bottle is working.

Years ago, My bird with a bum leg began perching on the water bowl, pooping into it, and then requesting a drink—“want drink!”. So I moved to bottles. But the bird needs to understand how to use the water bottle and the bottle must be the right size for the bird. You can’t use a big “rabbit” water bottle for a small bird though you probably can for a macaw or cockatoo.

But if you use water bottles then you must provide bath opportunities.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts