We got a Kakariki Parrot!

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
🌟 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽〘F Lutino Budgie〙🌟
✈️ 𝙅𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙧〘M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakariki〙✈️
My boyfriend and I stopped in a bird store, as we saw one on the way home from his eyeglasses appointment, and I wanted to check it out, since I've always wanted to go to one, but never knew there were any in the area. The owner of the shop was really nice, and I could she took very good care of the birds. All the babies were hand-fed and she would feed the birds a superb mixture of veggies and fruit, which she would freeze and give to them. She also sells it in store! I was very impressed!
As I was talking to her, my boyfriend called me over and I see him playing with this little parrot, who was excitedly hopping around nibbling his finger. He told me he looked at this bird and saw how intelligent he was, and knew he had a soul. At that point, I already knew he was coming home with us... We had already been looking to adopt a caique parrot, but she didn't have any at this store. Interestingly, those two parrot species are very similar. I actually had to ask what kind of parrot this was. I usually know parrot species, but this was one I'd rarely seen and not know the name of. We checked the bank account, and we were set, so, we got him a cage and brought him home!
He's still getting used to his new home after a couple days here and is wanting to get out and play already. I've already fed him a snow pea, which he graciously devoured on dad's head. He's still a bit shy though. I've been playing soft music for him during the day. He's pretty quiet for the most part except for making some cute little noises here and there, which is surprising. Maybe he'll crank up when he gets used to it here. My boyfriend has named him "Gremlin", because he has ghoulish-green feathers and red eyes. He's a precious little gremlin!
I've been trying to figure out ways to keep the cat away from him, but for the most part I've had to be actively monitoring the area when she's around. She will stare for quite a while and then start to slink over to his cage. I've sprayed some citrus-scented cat-scratch repellent on the stand of his cage and put "the gargoyle" (a small dog statue she is afraid of) on the floor in front of his cage, but it doesn't seem to be working all that well. If anyone has any advice about this, please let me know!
Sorry if the writing in this post is kind of shabby; it's pretty late at night here and I've been studying all day!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1133178682.jpg
    Snapchat-1133178682.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 80

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
My boyfriend and I stopped in a bird store, as we saw one on the way home from his eyeglasses appointment, and I wanted to check it out, since I've always wanted to go to one, but never knew there were any in the area. The owner of the shop was really nice, and I could she took very good care of the birds. All the babies were hand-fed and she would feed the birds a superb mixture of veggies and fruit, which she would freeze and give to them. She also sells it in store! I was very impressed!
As I was talking to her, my boyfriend called me over and I see him playing with this little parrot, who was excitedly hopping around nibbling his finger. He told me he looked at this bird and saw how intelligent he was, and knew he had a soul. At that point, I already knew he was coming home with us... We had already been looking to adopt a caique parrot, but she didn't have any at this store. Interestingly, those two parrot species are very similar. I actually had to ask what kind of parrot this was. I usually know parrot species, but this was one I'd rarely seen and not know the name of. We checked the bank account, and we were set, so, we got him a cage and brought him home!
He's still getting used to his new home after a couple days here and is wanting to get out and play already. I've already fed him a snow pea, which he graciously devoured on dad's head. He's still a bit shy though. I've been playing soft music for him during the day. He's pretty quiet for the most part except for making some cute little noises here and there, which is surprising. Maybe he'll crank up when he gets used to it here. My boyfriend has named him "Gremlin", because he has ghoulish-green feathers and red eyes. He's a precious little gremlin!
Welcome home, Gremlin! And welcome to the forums, Aussie_wings! I hope you find it useful:)
I've been trying to figure out ways to keep the cat away from him, but for the most part I've had to be actively monitoring the area when she's around. She will stare for quite a while and then start to slink over to his cage. I've sprayed some citrus-scented cat-scratch repellent on the stand of his cage and put "the gargoyle" (a small dog statue she is afraid of) on the floor in front of his cage, but it doesn't seem to be working all that well. If anyone has any advice about this, please let me know!
Sorry if the writing in this post is kind of shabby; it's pretty late at night here and I've been studying all day!
Don't spray qny kinds of chemicals near the birds. Birds are a lot more sensitive to certain chemicals than we are. I suggest moving the bird to another room :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What’s the cat scratch repellant for? Do you have cats? A quick little bird like a kakariki would look very yummy to a cat. Be careful.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
What’s the cat scratch repellant for? Do you have cats? A quick little bird like a kakariki would look very yummy to a cat. Be careful.
Yes, OP has a cat.

OP
aussie_wings

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
Yeah, I really wasn't wanting to bring home another baby just yet. We're still working on getting the house organized... My boyfriend decided to put Grem in the living room, which is where our cat spends the majority of her time, so I advised against it. He doesn't really understand how things can be for birds when there's a cat around (terrifying D:), but I've shown him some articles about how it can be stressful for the bird, and told him that I've been having to supervise them constantly, so he's more apt to move him to another area now. We also spend much time in the living room, so we definitely wanted him to feel included. We've been talking about getting our fireplace room turned into a "chill" room, with a Playstation, comfy seats, and books. It's Florida, so we never use the fireplace, lol. We're likely going to try to get him in there , or possibly my office room (which is where the budgie used to be). Her litter box is in the fireplace room, although she usually goes outside, and that's really the best place for it right now. We could possibly cover the entrance with a screen door when she's not using the box, though. We were talking about getting a tabletop play stand for him so we can hang out with him with the door shut in other rooms, too. I guess we'll have to get moving on clearing out those rooms. My bf has been working on his car for the past couple days, so maybe when he has the time.
It sucks; I definitely thought she would be better with Grem, because I had some budgies that she wasn't too bad with in office room, but they stay on the back porch now, mostly, because I want them to be warm enough and have good circadian rhythm, and they're doing well out there. I like to go out there and hang out with them.
Oh, also, Grem met his sisters today (the budgies). Eggbertha won't come out of her cage and is broody right now, but Starlight was very curious about him. They didn't really interact, but didn't seem bothered by each other's presence. I held Starlight and my bf held Gremlin. :)

Ryled1

Sep 4, 2015
Parrots
Bare eyed cockatoo
Since you are new to birds make sure to read up on cleaning chemicals, and what type of cooking pans to use around birds.
You also can't put them on the ground to walk around, bc there are fungal spores they have never Ben introduced to. They are like a bird in a bubble. My avian vet told me that. Good luck with your new cute baby

OP
aussie_wings

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
Thanks, he's doing really well. He seems really healthy and seems to be getting tamer.

Most Reactions

Latest posts